Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to Live in Pitt  (Read 4596 times)

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
Where to Live in Pitt
« on: January 26, 2005, 10:42:53 AM »
I've been admitted, and I'm 95% sure I'm going to Pitt.  Any thoughts on where to live?  I'm looking at Bloomfield, Squirrel Hill, and Shadyside -- but those might be relatively expensive.  I've also thought about the South Side, Regent Square, Point Breeze, Highland Park, North Oakland, and perhaps East Liberty... although I know East Liberty can be pretty sketchy.  Any thoughts?

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where to Live in Pitt
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 09:06:42 PM »
I lived in Regent Square when I did my master's at Pitt.  It has a lot of the qualities of Squirrel Hill but is usually more economic.  The access to Frick Park is wonderful and it is easy to get to everything.  I took the bus, which isn't too bad, 3 come through the main drag.  Sadly, parking in Oakland is nigh impossible unless you are independently wealthy. 

East Liberty is a little shady- but more importantly it's inconvienient as is Highland Park.  Takes forever to access a highway. 

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 01:44:34 AM »
Thanks a lot for the response!

Although I will have a car, I'm much more concerned about my commute to school than access to the highway.  I visited a friend in Shadyside for a few days and I liked it, but I think it might be a bit pricy.  I actually prefer to take the bus to school, rather than drive, but I'd rather have a short bus ride, a short wait at the stop (i.e. they come every ten or fifteen minutes), and I'd like to not have to pass up a bus in the am b/c it's too full. 

I actually went to a little party in Regent Square when I was there.  It was nice.  What was the bus situation like? 

And any opinion on Bloomfield?

Thanks!

asuhelms

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 05:17:11 AM »
Hello SleepyGuyYawn,

If you decide to go to Pitt I will be one of your 1L classmates.  I was origionally enrolled this fall semester, but two weeks into class I was hit by a car and had to defer, now I am just waiting until next school year.  I live in Bloomfield right now (right by West Penn Hospital and Friendship Park).  I am married and we have a two story, one bed, one bath apartment/house that is very spacious.  We pay $650 for rent + electricity.  They pay for heat, garbage, etc.  I just moved to Pittsburgh last May for school and was very pleasantly surprised at how nice the Bloomfield area is.  I feel safe and the community is really neat (Liberty ave. has some nice bars and places to eat, it almost has a small city downtown area feel)  I rode the bus to get to campus (when I was going to school) and it is probably a 15/20 minute ride and then walk to the law school.  I would check out Bloomfield, Squirrel Hill and Shadyside for nice quite graduate style housing.  However, if you don't mind loud undergrads then North Oakland is alright. 

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 10:27:38 AM »
Thanks a bunch for the response.  Sorry to hear about your accident. 

Yes, I'm pretty sure about Pitt.  I may get into Iowa or Wisconsin, but I've thought a great deal about it and have come to the conclusion that I don't want to be working/living long-term in Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, or Chicagoland.  And I do very much like Pittsburgh.  So I think my decision is more or less made.

Good to hear about Bloomfield.  I'll surely be looking there, or in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill.  Is the Liberty Street area dangerous at night?  I've heard mixed reviews about East Liberty -- and people say to live as far from Liberty St. as you can.  Is that true for Bloomfield too?

And thanks for the advice on Oakland.  I do not want to deal with loud undergraduates, so I think I'll avoid it like the plague  ;)

asuhelms

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 04:46:24 PM »
Liberty Street (in Bloomfield) is not dangerous at night.  Bloomfield is about 1 to 2 miles from East Liberty however there is a serious difference b/t the two.  If you move to Bloomfield to go to Pitt, there is no reason why you will ever need to even drive though East Liberty. 

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 07:59:30 PM »
Bloomfield is perfectly safe as is Liberty Ave in my opinion.  As is Friendship, next neighborhood over.  Rent is usually a good deal there.

At the corner of Forbes and Braddock I never had to wait long for a bus as the 61A the 61B and the 501 all go by.  Took about 15-20 minutes for me to get to school.  It was leaving that was hard if I tired to go home at rush hour, I would occaisonally get passed by a full bus.

triscuit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 05:06:06 PM »
Last year I lived in Edgewood. This year, I live in Regent Square. I liked both very much. It's simply too expensive-- especially if you will be living alone-- to rent in Oakland or Shadyside and Squirrel Hill wasn't much better. Last year, I paid $675 for a 1 BR  and this year, I'm paying $579 for a bigger 1 BR-- both places include(d) heat and water (One of my neighbors is moving out May 1 if any of you are interested!).

I ended up out this way because I couldn't afford to be any closer, but now I feel like my poverty was a stroke of luck. I like living in a more residential area. My street is a good mix of single family homes and apartments. The change of scenery helps me to "leave law school at law school", if you know what I mean. It's also quiet and my neighbors are generally responsible, professional adults-- none of that crazy undergrad junk. I'm also close to a mall and very close to two parks. If I want to go for a walk in the evening, I can do so without dodging traffic or listening to loud screaming or music.

The commute is not bad at all. Currently, I drive 1/2 mile to a Park and Ride and take a 15 minute bus ride in. I could, if I so chose, take a 15-20 bus ride on one of 4 or 5 routes that pick up and let off between 2 and 4 blocks from my apartment. Drving into Oakland is not a good option, as parking is tight and very expensive-- we're talking $10-$20 a day at least.

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 01:40:52 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I've heard great things about Regent Square.  I'll surely consider it.

Although I might consider Shadyside or Sq. Hill as I do plan on sharing an apartment (so it would be a bit cheaper).

In any case, I plan to avoid Oakland like the plague. 

Thanks!

bpetiprin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 12:17:22 PM »
I'm an undergrad at Pitt and, unless accepted to UCLA or UC-Davis, will more than likely be going to Pitt for law school in the fall (compliments of a dean's scholarship).
Anyways, yes: you must avoid Oakland like the plague. It's awesome living here as an undergrad, but there are just too many distractions going on to be successful in law school, especially if you know people (IMO). Plus it's f-ing dirty.
No, every person I know that goes to/has gone to law school at Pitt/Duquense lives in Shadyside. It's clean, nice, affordable, and there are several classy bars/restuarants on Walnut when you need to blow off some steam. As a Pitt student, your Pitt ID gets you on ANY PAT bus for free, and there are about 10x that run PER HOUR from Shadyside --> Oakland and Oakland --> Shadyside. Definitely don't need a car. Anyways, I plan on living there during LS and HIGHLY recommend that you do as well.
As for Squirrel Hill: live there if you're Jewish and/or you really love movies. That's about the only thing it has going for it. Squirrel Hill tends to have an older, "yuppie," population (e.g., older, working, married professionals), while Shadyside is full of attractive post-grads working their first jobs, etc.

Hope this helps. Hit me back if you need any other type of help moving into the city.

-Ben