Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: government attorneys  (Read 590 times)

unggio

• View Profile
government attorneys
« on: January 26, 2005, 04:38:44 AM »
was neone planning on working for the government, federally or at the state level?

i checked out the US DOJ website and they pay at the level of GS-11 when u graduate
which is about $45 k, plus locality increases for metro areas with higher costs of living. 

http://www.opm.gov/oca/05tables/indexGS.asp

how would the retirement process go, pension plan? what percent of ur salary is the pension?

relocation issues?

what areas do ne of you plan to go into the federal or state law?
criminal, anti trust, environmental, civil litigation, civil rights, white collar crime?

i tried searching thru the archives, but it doesnt answer any of these questions that i have asked above.

any aspiring judges, how to be one?

2nd yr engineering major

Wake3L

• View Profile
Re: government attorneys
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 01:51:19 PM »
I know someone who works for the City of Atlanta Department of Law and she loves her job.  I would love to work there, but they won't interview anyone unless they have already passed the bar.  That's how most of the state gov't jobs work, which sucks because you have to wait until the fall after graduation just to interview.  The city of Atl pays well in my opinion.  Their starting salary is a little under $49k.  The practice torts, employment, avaiation, real estate, contracts, commercial litigation, and more.

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
Re: government attorneys
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 11:14:54 AM »
If you are aspiring to be a judge....one of the most important things is networking, and gaining a huge amount of respect while doing so....ethical standards should be extremely high...Also, I know that it is very important to get plenty of experience in mediation and arbitration.... I have a friend who is trying to get appointed...and this is what she's been told.