Law School Discussion

Planet Law School comments from current students please :o)

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Planet Law School comments from current students please :o)
« on: January 22, 2005, 09:38:27 PM »
hi all,

i'm a pre-1L (starting fall 2005) and have been reading PLS II, though i haven't started doing any of the prep work suggested yet.  before i invest a lot of time and money into it, i was hoping to get feedback from the current students on this side of LSD, now that you all have grades back to tell you how well you did.

so, who followed PLS, and how did it go?  and would you mind also telling me where you go to school (or at least some sort of ranking if you're trying to be anonymous)?  i ask that because someone just told me that PLS works really well for tier 2 and below, but not as well for higher ranked schools that are more academic.  comments on any and all of these topics, and anything else you deem relevant, are highly appreciated!

thank you muchly,
pookie

duma

• View Profile
Re: PLS comments from current students please :o)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 09:52:37 PM »
What is PLS?

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 01:52:32 AM »
planet law school (now on the second edition), but "atticus falcon."  it's a pre-law book about how to prepare for LS, suggests primers and LEEWS and a bunch of other stuff.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 07:43:42 AM »
Well, I didn't use the PLS study method, but I generally do endorse it, and in fact am a member of the PLS Yahoo! group. Now, the obvious question is, 'How can you say it works if you haven't actually used it?'

Well, basically, I agree with PLS that there is very little instruction that goes on in law school. The fact of the matter is that law students pay exorbitant amounts of money to teach themselves the law. Yes, you WILL be teaching yourself the law/legal reasoning, so you may as well get used to it now. Personally, I used a combo of the PLS/LSC approach. What I did/do is read a hornbook and/or commercial outiline section before I do my casebook reading. IMHO, the Aspen E&E's are generally excellent for the first year courses, with the exception of Property (useless) and K's (OK, but not great). I do/did not outline, and generally cut class often (thought this depends on the course).

Why struggle through the material during the first couple of months? Do the PLS study method (if you have the time) and start off WAY ahead of your classmates. Sure, many of them will learn the material as well, but you can use the time you saved to do hypos/practice legal reasoning, actually go to class (this may or may not be helpful), do CALI lessons, and/or relax.

One piece of advice. If you DO use PLS, don't answer questions in class even though you know the answers. And, if you think/do know the answer, don't let your prof or your classmates try to mislead you. You'll see what I mean when you go to class.

I have yet to get all my grades, but so far I got an A- in Crim Law and am generally doing well in legal writing. Still waiting on torts, though...

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 04:14:12 PM »

dft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 10:43:55 AM »
Thanks - that was helpful.

Well, I didn't use the PLS study method, but I generally do endorse it, and in fact am a member of the PLS Yahoo! group. Now, the obvious question is, 'How can you say it works if you haven't actually used it?'

Well, basically, I agree with PLS that there is very little instruction that goes on in law school. The fact of the matter is that law students pay exorbitant amounts of money to teach themselves the law. Yes, you WILL be teaching yourself the law/legal reasoning, so you may as well get used to it now. Personally, I used a combo of the PLS/LSC approach. What I did/do is read a hornbook and/or commercial outiline section before I do my casebook reading. IMHO, the Aspen E&E's are generally excellent for the first year courses, with the exception of Property (useless) and K's (OK, but not great). I do/did not outline, and generally cut class often (thought this depends on the course).

Why struggle through the material during the first couple of months? Do the PLS study method (if you have the time) and start off WAY ahead of your classmates. Sure, many of them will learn the material as well, but you can use the time you saved to do hypos/practice legal reasoning, actually go to class (this may or may not be helpful), do CALI lessons, and/or relax.

One piece of advice. If you DO use PLS, don't answer questions in class even though you know the answers. And, if you think/do know the answer, don't let your prof or your classmates try to mislead you. You'll see what I mean when you go to class.

I have yet to get all my grades, but so far I got an A- in Crim Law and am generally doing well in legal writing. Still waiting on torts, though...

ElizaB

• What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Re: Planet Law School comments from current students please :o)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 10:49:55 AM »

3Peat

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 04:20:28 AM »
bump

jdohno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005, 10:08:45 AM »
That's c.r.a.p. about PLS working better for lower tier schools, etc. On the Yahoo group, we have people who go to Harvard, Duke and other top 10 schools that are using the book. Those schools aren't more "academic" they engaged in more policy type teaching. But you still need to know the black letter law to do policy discussions. I don't know about investing a lot of money. If you buy the books on Ebay, Amazon and half.com, you will spend about $200 dollars on the books. $200 dollars is about the price of two new casebooks for your first year. Some guy on some other site said he spend thousands of dollars on the books which is a complete lie. Besides once you are in school you will spending more money on the casebooks, outlines, flash cards, etc.

I go to a top 50 school. Actually I should call it a bottom tier school because it seems to go back and forth between the 1st and 2nd tiers these past years. I am in the process of transferring from my school. I have already been accepted to Georgetown through Early Action. I am waiting for the rest of my grades so I can put out more applications. First semester I got straight As. Spring grades came out on Tuesday and my lowest grade is an A-. I'm now waiting on my legal writing grade which might be a high B. The appellate brief just killed me. I did the PLS method in school and changed some things around to fit my school. I also prepped last summer. I didn't memorize anything--I just approached the prepping in a smart way--I followed his instructions in the book pretty well. It was worth it. I didn't think the LSAT was a good indicator of my abilities and I wanted to transfer from my school from the beginning. So I looked for books on the market that could help me with those goals. Now I'm spending my summer packing up my stuff and waiting to see what school I will be at in the fall. Either way it won't be at this school.

I also have written on this subject on the Pre Law side and in some Leews posts. Even if you don't decide to do PLS, do something to prepare for first year. Don't go into your first year blind. I think the law schools tell us to relax in the summer so we are ready for the slaughter in the fall.

hi all,

i'm a pre-1L (starting fall 2005) and have been reading PLS II, though i haven't started doing any of the prep work suggested yet.  before i invest a lot of time and money into it, i was hoping to get feedback from the current students on this side of LSD, now that you all have grades back to tell you how well you did.

so, who followed PLS, and how did it go?  and would you mind also telling me where you go to school (or at least some sort of ranking if you're trying to be anonymous)?  i ask that because someone just told me that PLS works really well for tier 2 and below, but not as well for higher ranked schools that are more academic.  comments on any and all of these topics, and anything else you deem relevant, are highly appreciated!

thank you muchly,
pookie

jdohno

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2005, 10:18:25 AM »
Oh and because some people have PM me and asked me this--but I did not go straight to law school from college. I took some years off and worked and gave myself time to really think about law school. So I didn't come from an academic environment when I started law school. Also I struggled big time last summer. I also struggled in school. The law didn't come easy to me. But I worked hard and I wanted to understand it. I prioritize my time well and study smart per PLS. I spent time on hypos and practice exams and barely did any briefing. Also I immerse myself in the law. HTH