Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Opinions of study guides, "Crunchtime", "Nutshell" "Law in Flash" Car  (Read 5286 times)

fansill

• View Profile
    • Email
What are your opinions of study guides such as Crunchtime Books, Nutshells, Law in a Flash Cards, Casebook Legal Briefs Outlines, etc...??? Any others that you can recommend???

First Year Student in Chilly Massachusetts Thanks you...

JD_MSA

• View Profile
Re: Opinions of study guides, "Crunchtime", "Nutshell" "Law in Flash"
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 02:44:37 PM »
I LOVE Law in a Flash.  After looking at my outlines, I like the idea of looking at one card at a time.  The hypos are good and funny enough to keep me interested.  I usually don't find the Nutshells too helpful, but I know some people really like them. 

My second-favorite (after LIAF, of course) is the Examples and Explanations series.  I used the book for Civ Pro and found it helpful.

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 08:26:08 PM »
Law in a Flash is great.  I went through the entire box of Torts before my exam.  It gets right down to the point and beats the concepts into your head over and over.  I would recommend them.

E&E is the grand mother of all study aids.

Crunch time is good too.
Burning Sands

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 09:17:05 PM »
Has any tried listening to study guides on CD's or MP3's (for example, on your commute to school)?  Or - is it possibly to record your lecture on CD or MP3 format so that you can listen to it on your commute (I may be driving/commuting a lot during 1L)?  I have a CD player in my car my car but no tape player - I also have an MP3 player.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 11:51:26 PM »
I use LIAF, crunch time, and Q&A from Lexis. I like them all. I tend to focus on practice questions though... not so much into reviewing when there are only two weeks before the exam.

Louder Than Bombs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 09:52:18 AM »
IMHO Law in a Flash blows. The hypos are poorly written and sometimes even wrong (or just unchallanging). The E&E hypos are generally very good, along with the explanations. I also like the CALI lessons as well.

Nutshells are OK, but again not really that great. I recommend the 'Concepts and Insights' series put out by Foundation Press. They are well written and lay out a conceptual framework that you can use as a lens to view the black-letter rules through. IMHO, is is MUCH easier to remember the rules when they are placed against a conceptual background, rather than when viewed as independent and only nominally connected.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 10:11:09 AM »
I don't like Law in a Flash. I agree with what was said before about it being inaccurate. I also don't think it covers the material very well in overall concepts.

I tend to use my Hornbooks, the Lexis "Understanding" series and "Examples and Explanations" for overall understanding of the material. I use Emmanuels or one of the other popular commercial supplements when I am constructing my own outline (I use them as a guide but mainly do my own).

The Nutshells are good for a limited view of a topic to give you a basic understanding.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 10:33:43 PM »
It's important to keep in mind that no one study guide will be the answer to all your prayers.  Examples and Explanations is good for some things, Gilbert's is good for others.  Staying loyal to one series could work to your detriment.  Here's a list of those which worked for me:

Civ Pro - EZ Rules, E&E, CrunchTime
CrimLaw - Understanding Crim Law, flow charts from CrunchTime
Torts - I didn't use any; the stuff seems pretty straight forward
LRW - Legal Research Survival Manual
Intellectual Property - Gilbert's, E&E
K's - E&E seems good so far
Property - haven't gotten any for the same reason as torts

Esq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 08:31:47 PM »
The Examples and Explanations Series is great. The E&E Glannon Civ Pro book is essential. E&E's Contracts by Brian Blum is clearly written and has great hypos. I liked E&E's Secured Transactions and Payment Systems books. The E&E Wills and Trusts book by Beyer is excellent and I highly recommend it. All the E&E books are great.

I agree with what was said above about the "Nutshell" series. 

Legally Purple

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 01:04:28 AM »
I agree that diff supplements work better for certain classes.  Here are my suggestions:
Contracts: Crunchtime (everyone I know who used this (regardless of prof) got an A)
Torts:  Law in a Flash (provides good practice for issue spotting, which is what most exams are about.
Property:  Understanding Property from LexisNexis (really good break down of all of the law)
CDR: I used E&E