Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Judicial Externship  (Read 3201 times)

SLJ0720

• View Profile
Judicial Externship
« on: January 22, 2005, 01:48:40 PM »
Which would be more impressive when looking for a 2L summer job next year: doing a judicial externship this summer in a federal district court or one in the state supreme court?  Do you think doing a judicial externship will look better than a law firm job?

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Judicial Externship
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 07:24:50 PM »
Federal district court is my vote, mostly because that was the advice I got and my internship was recieved very favorably by the firms I interviewed with this fall.  My judge is also very popular in town, so every knew her or of her and wanted my thoughts of her personally. 

Overall I'd say go with a judge over a firm job.  Your interviewer may have argued in front of them- it gives you something to talk about and is probably more impressive than most 1L jobs.  (I exclude biglaw IL jobs from this analysis as they are available to only a few from the top schools).

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 11:35:13 PM »
state SC is more impressive. It's not that a federal district court position is not well respected, but it's not as selective as one for the state SC would be. I've heard this from several professors and attys.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 08:23:26 PM »
Getting an internship doesn't seem to be difficult in the least state or federal, at least it didn't seem terribly difficult for me or my friends.   

If you were referring to a permanent clerkship, well it depends on your goals, which is better.  State SC is great if you want to build your career only in your state.  A federal court position has broader appeal to employers outside your state.  I've heard more in favor of federal court from prof, but this preference may differ by locality.

Bonkers, Jr.

• Meet Me At The Pier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 12:31:16 PM »
Another factor is which you find more interesting, state or federal law? Personally I would say federal, but that's just me, and it depends on the state I guess.

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 02:51:56 PM »
I have no clue how selective a state SC summer position is versus a federal district court.  But, I do know that most large firms will view a federal district court position more highly than state SC.  First, state SC is obviously state specific, so the federal position is much more portable.  Second, a given ettorney looking at your resume more than likely has never been in front of the state SC, whereas the interview more than likely has been to federal court if s/he is a litigator.  The skills you learn in federal court are much more applicable to life as an entry level associate than in a state SC position.  I would also venture to say that it is more interesting.

In my opinion the ranking is as follows:

1)  Large law firm paying Summer Assocaite
2)  Federal District Court Summer Clerk
3)  State Supreme Court Summer Clerk
4)  Small firm unpaid internship