Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: L.L.M. Replies 2005 ????  (Read 6725 times)

quovadis

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: L.L.M. Replies 2005 ????
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 03:19:30 PM »
mexllm,  I didn't say that to be mean!  I just think that her friend should quickly apply to a safety school just in case!  (For example: George Washington U. in Washington DC is still taking applications)

Even for candidates with good grades and references, admission into a top program is by no means a certainty!  I applied to a safety school as well (Fordham) just to be sure I got into a program of some kind, even if it wasnt my first choice.

Tomasz

rosemary

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2005, 02:02:24 PM »
Hi, Tomasz

You are right, that she should apply some safety school. I also told her before.
But she doesn't want to do so. Since she is in China, and if sha cann't go to a top program, She won't want to waste money and time. She will get her first LLM from China this summer. I don't know whether she is lucky enough to get admission or not.

She also applied Oxford, since last winter, she spent several weeks there as an exchange student. But it doesn't mean she can go there either.

Anyway, her Toefl is 637, GPA 3.7/4.0, and is an edit of chief of their law school's journal, but no working experience in firm before. So what do you guys think about? thanks.

Mexllm, thanks. but what Tomasz told is right.

quovadis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2005, 04:32:27 PM »
Rosemary,
Do you know your friend's class rank?  It's more important than her GPA in the admissions decisions.  Has she ever published in English?  This would certainly help distinguish her.

I hope your friends gets admitted somewhere but, with all due respect, any school in the top 25 (or top 50?) would improve her resume...  it would not be a "waste of time and money" to go outside the top ten.

The schools you mentioned probably get hundreds of Chinese applicants each, all with excellent credentials.  The largest contingent of applicants is from China, Japan, and Korea.  This makes it a little harder for your friend, as schools try to assemble geographically diverse classes and usually limit themselves to a few students per country.

Once again, I really wish her the best of luck!
Tomasz

rosemary

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2005, 12:53:05 PM »
Tomasz,

thanks a lot. I don't know her rank in their class, but I'm sure she is not top 1.
she didn't get any english publications, only 3 or 4 in Chinese Journals. 2 of them are second author.   I also suggested her to apply some other schools, she
refused to do so. Since you know, the tuition for law school is too high for us,
and a degree of LLM seems not so helpful in finding a job, right?  So she maybe
work in a firm in china if having no admission, and she'll apply next year. In
fact, I don't know if she doesn't want to do research, why she still needs this degree. She will get a LLM  this summer.  anyway, it's not my problem.  good luck to her!

thank you very much. 

rosemary

Michiganaccepted

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2005, 06:26:37 PM »
Hi, I didn't know where else to put this, but i'm pretty much doing the opposite of you guys.  Anyway, I was looking at LLM programs overseas, as i'm in the US for my JD (University of Michigan).  Anyway, I was wondering anyone was familiar with the LLM programs in England.  I really want to study abroad at some point in my life, and I was wondering if after my graduation from the University of Michigan, getting a law degree from a University in England is a viable option. Does anyone know what I need to do?  What percentile in my class would I need for an acceptace to a top school like Oxford/cambridge? What programs would I apply to?  I have a sinking feeling that the University of Michigan's name probably wont travel as well as I would like (Unlike Harvard of Yale), so it may be much harder than expected......

funlawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 08:31:03 PM »
Congratulations to each of you that were admitted.  I just graduated from Columbia in May 05' with my LL.M. and I truly hope your experiences will be as rewarding as I found mine. But for the expensive New York City, Columbia's program is simply awesome. For those of you that didn't get admitted into your schools of choice, there is always 06'.  Don't give up.