Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Book Briefing  (Read 5748 times)

TOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Book Briefing
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2005, 04:43:30 PM »
oh, so clever.

did D-OWN-YOU tell you to post that?

carrie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2005, 07:58:34 PM »
LOL!  DOWNY changed his name to "xxxx!"  LOL!

Book briefing is always a good idea, even if you write them out.

I write out some, depending on the case and depending on how much time I have. I find that writing them out does not take long, as you can do it very efficiently, ie, one sentence of facts. Writing them out helps ingrain the case and principles in your mind so that you will do better than the other LFs who book brief and then forget every case come exams.

HTH

carrie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2005, 07:59:07 PM »
Downy, how about "tttt?"  lol

Book briefing is always a good idea, even if you write them out.

I write out some, depending on the case and depending on how much time I have. I find that writing them out does not take long, as you can do it very efficiently, ie, one sentence of facts. Writing them out helps ingrain the case and principles in your mind so that you will do better than the other LFs who book brief and then forget every case come exams.

HTH

danlauer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2005, 04:22:00 AM »
LawGirl,
No offense taken, I can see why the impression might have been made.  I want to learn how to lawyer.  In practice lawyers don't memorize the law the way law school exams require.  In practice lawyers use the law to argue their case.  In my first year I choose to focus on my research and writing class.  I was very lucky, I had an excellent teacher.  I did very well on my appellant brief and made finals in our first yeat moot court competetion.  In that small area I know the law very well.  To do this I gave up time in other classes, by necessity.  So I had to streamline and focus to maximize my time towards exam prep, not overall depth of knowledge in each subject. 
I feel that these choices were valid as I did very well grade wise, and I think this had to do with a focus on writing and advocacy.
Certainly, out of context I must sound like I'm just advising corner cutting- but in fact I spend a lot of time doing practice exams and arguing with my study group.  Actually I have a strong interest in legal pedagogy and often think that our professors lead us astray with exams that test issue spotting and memorization rather than application.

Lawyers don't know the law, they know how to find the law and craft an argument in the gaps between cases.  That's what I'm in law school to learn.
Thank you for giving me the oppurtunity to clarify a perception I must have created.

Oh and I'm with you about DOWNY, some of the funniest stuff I've read in a while, but also sometimes content which causes concern.

Great post!
To what extent can truth endure incorporation? That is the question; that is the experiment.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2005, 01:02:43 PM »
Thanks.  My maiden name was Lauer.  No one could ever spell it.

yomugonamug

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2005, 05:20:27 AM »
If you actually have time to book-brief, it'll definitely work.

landauer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2005, 08:04:14 PM »
i've heard some people use e-Legalines

http://www.gilbertlaw.com/bookstore/elegalines.asp

differencebetween

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2005, 02:11:26 AM »

frame of mind

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2005, 10:17:43 PM »
If you actually have time to book-brief, it'll definitely work.

LOL ;)