Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Utah: Particulars  (Read 7415 times)

erdosaen

• View Profile
Utah: Particulars
« on: January 19, 2005, 07:03:49 PM »

I was just accepted at Utah but I don't have an excess of information about the school.  Outside the info on the school's website, what is there to know about the students, facilities, professors, etc.?  I'm not looking so much for someone to make the case for me to attend the school as some general input by current students there.  Thanks. 

tre1160

Re: Utah: Particulars
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 09:10:37 PM »
I went there for undergrad so I can't speak for the Law School.  If you have any questions you think I can answer send them to nopain8@gmail.com

Congrats on getting in.  I am applying there too but just sent in my application.

erdosaen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 11:35:41 AM »

Well, your comments certainly give ma pause.  Falling reputation, unprepared and haughty students and lousy facilities don't make for a good place to learn.  How would you characterize your experience at Mason in contrast?

Of course, I'd really like to hear from anyone in disagreement.

GMULAW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 01:24:04 PM »
I really like Mason, but I will tell you about what I like and don't like.

I really like how it is a smaller school, as is Utah. There is a real sense of community here. People share everything. I could go to anyone and ask for anything.  The student body is very supportive of each other.

The administration here is amazing. That is another thing I forgot to mention about Utah, the admin was horrid. I had to call 5 times just to find out how to pay my tuition and then they would not even transfer the grade over to Mason. I had to get the Mason office to get them to do it.  GMU admin is very responsive, friendly, and on top of things.  Same goes for career services. They are hell bent on making sure you are employed where you want to be.

The profs are also really great.  I have only had one prof who I didn't like.  All the rest are just great.

Location is also great. We have a stronghold in both DC and Northern VA.  Employers really respect our school and students. We have way more national firms come that Utah does, they are mainly a regional school.  Everyone I have ever come in contact with, and I am not kidding, really respects Mason.

Bad things:  The 2.9 curve sucks.  It is a fact of life here, but there is always a constant pressure of it on you.  Also the writing program is graded on a 2.9 curve as well and you have a seperate writing GPA.  While it sucks, it also is a harder writing program, which makes for a better legal writer, which impresses most employers. So even our "worst" legal writers are still better than most.

If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a line at aim LedZepChick81
I will choose a path that's free, I will choose free will

erdosaen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 12:12:38 PM »

GMULAW, thanks for taking the time to give me your perspective. 

Are there any current students at S.J. Quinney that have another viewpoint?

Anyone?...

mwitterone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 11:09:44 AM »
Utah is my number one choice; however, I have not been on campus. I am basing my decision on quality of life factors and the utterly glowing reports I have from alums.  In fact, not just alums from Utah, but alums from other schools in Colorado, etc. These are smart people with good jobs who rave about the school.  In addition, while I have yet to deal with administrative offices on campus other than admissions,the admissions people are stellar. Very nice and personable.

UteFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 06:03:44 PM »
Wow!  What vitriol you harbor, GMULAW.  I’m afraid your passion speaks louder than your reason.  I’m glad you outperformed the better part of our habitually unprepared law review staff in Evidence.  Certainly Judge Benson should think twice before he, as you say, “highers” one of them (while he no doubt had reason to be impressed with your editing skills). 

I would submit two considerations to applicants considering attending Utah who feel influenced by GMULAW’s take:

1.   Great facilities are great, but what you’re really looking for is a quality education.  I dare say that one of the crumbiest law campuses I visited before I enrolled at Utah was UC Hastings.  I didn’t get off the waitlist to attend Hastings, but two of my first-year textbooks were written by Hastings profs, and it is fine law school.  I would urge, among other things, that a prospective student examine a school’s placement record, bar passage rates, and the quality of the faculty in particular when making a decision on where to attend.

2.   Take what GMULAW says with a grain of salt, if only for the reason that she is a graduate of BYU—Utah’s fiercest athletic and academic rival in the entire intermountain west.  I dare say that the unhappiest of Utah 1Ls are dyed-in-the-wool BYU undergraduates who detest the fact that they, taking their best offer of admission, have to wear the Red and White for three years before they can become a lawyer.  Cougars hate Utes and Utes hate Cougars, just ask ESPN.

For a real appraisal of a law school, ask its full-time students, its graduates.

GMULAW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 08:11:18 AM »
2.   Take what GMULAW says with a grain of salt, if only for the reason that she is a graduate of BYU—Utah’s fiercest athletic and academic rival in the entire intermountain west.  I dare say that the unhappiest of Utah 1Ls are dyed-in-the-wool BYU undergraduates who detest the fact that they, taking their best offer of admission, have to wear the Red and White for three years before they can become a lawyer.  Cougars hate Utes and Utes hate Cougars, just ask ESPN.

I dare to say that is is the truth, as I warned all of you, that I am biased due to my time at BYU, as any Cougar or Ute would be.  As for my spelling...well, if none of you have every made a spelling mistake before, more power to you, as for me, I don't sp check my posts before I post them, so take that for whatever it is worth.

Now if you want a school where sports actually like to win, go to Utah (at least based on this last year) for some reason winning was just not on the BYU agenda this year :(. But I digress, bottom line, go where you are going to be happy, even if that is the U. I went into the U with great expectations. I was excited to get another perspective, unfortunatly I was sorely dissapointed. I wish all that go there and will go there better luck than me.

P.S. I will give you athletic rival, as for academic.......well you are dreaming.  All who get into BYU can easily get into the U, the same can not be said for the U, have the raised the undergrad standards to having more than a pulse and a check yet? :P (Go Cougars)

GMULAW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 08:24:17 AM »
I have deleted my previous posts, because they gave the information that was being sought out by the orginial poster and now they just seem to be getting people all wound up. There is no reason for that, so "poof" they are gone, as I am from this post now ;D

Good Luck in law school to everyone!

UteFan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 06:01:39 PM »
GMULAW,
One last reply to your take on Utah, which you only now admit as being biased since you were called on it:

BYU’s law school is indeed more difficult to get into than the S.J. Quinney—but don’t let that fool anyone into believing that BYU offers a better legal education.  Competitive admission has long been the rule for any program at BYU since the pool of potential applicants to BYU is largely drawn from a worldwide church whose total membership is over 11 million people. 

I would invite any potential candidate to either school to compare the overall quality of BYU’s law faculty as compared with that of the S.J. Quinney School of Law.  Utah’s faculty includes, among others, a recent clerk for U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, a sitting federal district court judge, and a sitting federal judge for 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.  By contrast, I don’t know of any sitting or former federal judges that teach at BYU. 

I readily admit without qualification that BYU has a fine law school.  If one is to be guided purely by the rankings (which weigh heavily on admissions selectivity), BYU is admittedly the "better school."  (but if it IS all about the rankings, why would any applicant visit a campus or even browse this website?--just take your best-ranked offer, right?) 

My point?--The MYTH that BYU offers a better education than Utah is largely a function of its saturated admissions.  More potential applicants translate into tougher admissions, tougher admissions skew rankings upward.  Hence, BYU has better students when judging by the numbers, and Utah has better instructors considering where they've schooled, what they've published, and where they've clerked, practiced, and judged.  I would be interested in reading any thoughtful assertions to the contrary . . .