Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many hours a day do you study?  (Read 1694 times)

venusenvy

• View Profile
    • Email
How many hours a day do you study?
« on: January 18, 2005, 10:28:29 PM »
I am trying to come up with a good study plan as a oneL.  Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Ashley

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How many hours a day do you study?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 01:21:56 AM »
I'm cutting back so far this semester like a habitual smoker. I'm down to 1 or 2 hours a day during the week and maybe...8 hours during the weekends.  I think most people spend less time 2nd semester just because we know how the routine goes now and we know what to expect. First semester hours were crazy!
Burning Sands

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 09:24:10 AM »
I never really counted it up, but I'd guess about 4 hours a day plus 9 hours on Saturdays (because I work all day on Saturdays and I have nothing else to do at work but study).  That's for five classes.   

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 10:34:53 AM »
Minimum 4 hours per week per class. Plus review on weekends. I agree with Burning Sands. You will cut way back second semester but that first semester you really can't study too much.
You will appreciate the preparation when you start exam review.
If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other it is the principle of free thought, not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 11:51:23 AM »
Yup, that's my schedule.  4 hours a day.  Though I bartend on Fridays & Saturdays so some studying gets done in the morning.

I never really counted it up, but I'd guess about 4 hours a day plus 9 hours on Saturdays (because I work all day on Saturdays and I have nothing else to do at work but study).  That's for five classes.   

strangelove

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 01:17:59 PM »
i do all of my reading for the week the weekend before classes.  then, during the week after class i spend 2-3 hours reviewing the class i just had and maybe an hour previewing for the class i have the following day.  works great if you're old like me and dont mind spending your weekends in the library.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 03:23:15 PM »
i thought i was gonna cut back until i read my first constitutional law case. The thing was like 15 pages - took an hour and a half to read/book brief and actually UNDERSTAND what the hell was going on for 15 pages. With con law im to about 4-5 hours a night. Without con law i would be doing an hour - 2 hours tops.
check the footnotes ya'll

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 05:22:06 PM »
i thought i was gonna cut back until i read my first constitutional law case. The thing was like 15 pages - took an hour and a half to read/book brief and actually UNDERSTAND what the hell was going on for 15 pages. With con law im to about 4-5 hours a night. Without con law i would be doing an hour - 2 hours tops.

Yeah, con law pretty much requires its own schedule.   

Wake3L

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 02:02:57 PM »
During my first year I studied from 5:00 am - 8:00, then from 6:00 - 10:00.  I never did work on weekends, except for Sunday night.

Things get so much better after the first year.  During my second year I probably spent 2 hours a day preparing for class.  This year I don't do much work at all.  Last semester I read for the first two weeks, and then didn't open up a case book after that.  I started studying for exams about a month before they began.  Of course, I'm also in the middle of my class, so if grades are really important to you, you may want to work more than I did!

Downey Slayer's Dick

• Please don't make fun of me, Mr. President
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 06:55:38 PM »