Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: successful transfer without high grades?  (Read 2356 times)

dinker

• View Profile
successful transfer without high grades?
« on: January 17, 2005, 10:00:28 AM »
It seems to me that everyone that has successfully transfered to a higher ranked school did so based on high grades or ranking. But has anyone done so for family, job related, etc reasons.  Now, I'm not talking about for example, a 4th tier to a 1st tier, I'm talking like 2nd to 1st, or 4th to 3rd (just one move up).   

Do schools take into considerations other than grades and ranking?  And if so, do you put it in the personal statement?

dgatl

Re: successful transfer without high grades?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 03:01:01 PM »
the answer is NO

strangelove

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 10:24:19 AM »
more specifically:
It depends on the school.  for the schools that require/suggest a personal statement, then yes, they do take into CONSIDERATION your work/volunteer/extracirricular experience, but it always starts w/GPA and rank, mostly your rank.  Typically only T3 and T4 schools ask for personal statements, so if you're looking to move into the T2 or T1 territory, grades/rank are ALL that matter and Eva is correct.....

dinker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 10:37:10 AM »
I am just trying to move from tier 4 to tier 3 (there are no tier 4s in the location I am trying to move to), and it's only because of location.  If my tier 4 was closer to home and work, I would not consider transferring.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 04:39:32 PM »
One of my friends from 1st year tranfered to Arizonia State (tier unknown to me) from our tier three citing personal reasons and a desire to be in that location.  He was in the bottom third of the class.