Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: looking back, what you would have done to prepare for law school  (Read 1702 times)

Bored_3L

• View Profile
Re: looking back, what you would have done to prepare for law school
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 04:08:36 PM »
Just relax and enjoy your spring/summer.  The first year is stressful enough without going nuts over the summer.  Law school is unlike anything you've likely done before and finding what works for you will be an iterative process once school begins and you see what it is like.  Forget the melodrama of 1L and ignore the magic claims of instant success promulgated by books like LSC and LEEWS.  The first year will be tough, but you already know this and nothing those books tell you will change that.  The hardest part of the first year is the psychological burden and the fact that the collective neurosis of all first years tends to feed off each other and breed a bizarre paranoia and no book will change that. Just relax and get ready to work hard and keep the right mindset.   

As for reading class books and outlines, stay away from those entirely.  Until you see what different professors focus on and what they expect you to know, you'd just be wasting your time.  Learning by the case method is an adjustment and for the first few weeks what you think the case means may be totally incorrect.  Don't waste your time now reading material that you will likely interpret incorrectly and have to reread later.  Also, you won't know what material will be important for exams until going through class and seeing what the professor cares about. 

stupendous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 05:29:01 PM »
thanks guys!

It seems that 90+% of those in law school say to relax from the various threads here and xoxo.  I don't think I can do that completely but I'll try and hold my readings to maybe a book or two about law school.

peace and good luck to all :)

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 05:30:56 PM »
Just relax and enjoy your spring/summer.  The first year is stressful enough without going nuts over the summer.  Law school is unlike anything you've likely done before and finding what works for you will be an iterative process once school begins and you see what it is like.  Forget the melodrama of 1L and ignore the magic claims of instant success promulgated by books like LSC and LEEWS.  The first year will be tough, but you already know this and nothing those books tell you will change that.  The hardest part of the first year is the psychological burden and the fact that the collective neurosis of all first years tends to feed off each other and breed a bizarre paranoia and no book will change that. Just relax and get ready to work hard and keep the right mindset.   

As for reading class books and outlines, stay away from those entirely.  Until you see what different professors focus on and what they expect you to know, you'd just be wasting your time.  Learning by the case method is an adjustment and for the first few weeks what you think the case means may be totally incorrect.  Don't waste your time now reading material that you will likely interpret incorrectly and have to reread later.  Also, you won't know what material will be important for exams until going through class and seeing what the professor cares about. 

I couldn't have said it better myself.  *Applause*

Spend your time having fun.  I spend my entire summer before my 1L year at the pool, and I'm not any worse for it.   ;)

strangelove

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 06:04:44 PM »
Bored3L is on the money.  i did just the opposite over the summer before i started-- i read anything and everything about law school, inlcuding the books quoted above, took pre-law school courses (very expensive), and worked myself up into a general schizoparonoid frenzy.  bottom line: it did me NO good.  why? you simply cannot prepare for law school; the academic, mental, and emotional challenges that you will face are incredible.  at the same time, its the most rewarding experience of my life, i don't regret a second of it.  So, even though you've heard it a thousand times, and take it from somebody who did not follow this advice: JUST RELAX!!

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 07:46:19 AM »
I  would have been born into a wealthy family who understood the importance and value of education, investments, and a career.
I would have went to kindergarten to develop early social skills.
I would have studied more for better grades, and chosen more challenging courses during high school. I would have received career counseling.
I would have gone directly from high school to college, then directly to law school.

Judge: Please begin.
Counsel: Thank. [to witness] Miss, while you have, if you do have -- you still -- oh, you don't.
Judge: That was a great start, counsel.

"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

jdmaxey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 12:24:11 PM »
Since there seems to be so many of you saying the same thing, I guess I'll just kick back and quit worrying about everything. I've only read LSC and a legal writing book so far, but my reading list for the summer was pretty intense. Thanks everyone for saving me the trouble. I'm sure my wife thanks you too. I guess I'll just spend my summer enjoying the time with my family and making sure all my chores are done around the house.

For a new guy, what does TTT mean? And why is everyone hammering Cooley so bad?

I have another question, are non-ABA schools really that prevalent? Why would you spend the time and money to attend one of these schools if you can't practice law?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 12:47:29 PM »
TTT is short for third tier toilet and is a favorite expression of some who like to trash everything and everyone.

Cooley is ranked very close to the bottom of the US News and World Reports ranking of law schools. 

I don't think there are even as many non-ABA schools as there are ABA schools.  Non-ABA schools are those schools that have never requested ABA approval or requested and did not receive approval. 

Non-ABA schools provide an alternative for those who could not get into an ABA school and those for whom ABA schools will not work because of time or money or other constraints.

Non-ABA schools usually allow you to sit for the bar in that state and can be a good choice for many.  Like me!   ;)
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

beck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 12:02:40 PM »
I think the best thing you could do is really reflect on what helped you do well in undergrad.  I read Law School Confidential, and I think it did an excellent job of providing a summary of the law school experience, but you have to be wary of other people's ways to succeed in law school.  Some LS prep books give very specific plans to law school success.  If that study or briefing method is not the way you learn best however, you're not going to get in a good rhythym when you're in law school and I think your grades will suffer as a result.  Spend the time over the summer to think through how you're going to brief cases [I just highlight and write in the margins, but not with 5 different highlighter colors like LSC], how you're going to take your notes [strongly consider getting Microsoft OneNote], and if you want to get in a study group or not.  Best of luck!

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 12:23:33 PM »
I suggest the same as everyone else. Relax. Because you have a wife, I will also add, you need to explain to her that you will not see very much of her. Try to get in as much "quality" time as you can rigt now. I know that is one of my wife's major problems with LS.

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 11:52:03 PM »
Enjoy your time now and know that when school starts life will change immensely.
There really is no preparation for the mental discipline required.
"1L" by Scott Turow is pretty good. A diary of his first year @ HLS.
If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other it is the principle of free thought, not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate.
Oliver Wendell Holmes