Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much $$ for books each semester?  (Read 625 times)

Jessikally

• View Profile
How much $$ for books each semester?
« on: January 10, 2005, 11:54:31 AM »
I got a full tuition scholarship, but will have to pay for books. How much do you typically spend?

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How much $$ for books each semester?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 11:56:27 AM »
I've had some semesters that are higher, but normally around $400-500 without supplements. I normally try to look for books that have no markings in them so I end up getting a mixture of new and used books.

You could call the bookstore that usually services your school and ask them about an average price for 1st semester 1L books (get different quotes for all new and all used). The prices may change from semester to semester because the books used change, but they can give you an idea of a general total for the current semester.

You may want to also get a list of books being used for the current semester and then check on-line for retailers that sell law books. That will give you some idea of an average price.

jdmaxey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 12:32:10 PM »
I had heard that you didn't get your list of required books until the orientation week which forced you to buy your books from the bookstore on campus. And you had to buy the books right then and there to prepare for first week assignmetns. Is that true?

As an undergrad I always contacted my professors before the semester started to get the ISBN of the books needed for their class and then ordered the books online. Without fail I saved around 50% buying online instead of using the bookstore.

So is this a pleasant little surprise awaiting us all this August, or do you think the professors would give out ISBN's during the summer so we could order the books online? If we have to wait, that's quite a neat little racket they have there! Maybe I should skip law school and just open up a book store on campus?

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 01:25:38 PM »
I had heard that you didn't get your list of required books until the orientation week which forced you to buy your books from the bookstore on campus. And you had to buy the books right then and there to prepare for first week assignmetns. Is that true?
No, at least not at my school. We got our book list sent to us about a month before classes started. This was also before the book store(s) had their act together (on and off campus).

As an undergrad I always contacted my professors before the semester started to get the ISBN of the books needed for their class and then ordered the books online. Without fail I saved around 50% buying online instead of using the bookstore.
You can always try that method in ls. I would be honest in your reason for wanting to know, in other words, don't say you want to know so you can read the entire book over summer.

So is this a pleasant little surprise awaiting us all this August, or do you think the professors would give out ISBN's during the summer so we could order the books online? If we have to wait, that's quite a neat little racket they have there! Maybe I should skip law school and just open up a book store on campus?
There are plenty of surprises coming your way. I doubt that the book situation will be one of them. Just plan to pay allot.