Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How important is the school you attend?  (Read 725 times)

jdmaxey

• View Profile
How important is the school you attend?
« on: January 09, 2005, 11:05:19 AM »
Hello all,

I start a p/t program this fall here in Little Rock. I am 18 years into a military career and moving to attend a different school is not an option for me. Please don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with what I've seen and heard about the school here so far. However, it is a Tier 4 school according to USNWR. My question is whether or not having a JD from this school will affect my ability to choose my job upon graduation? If I'm not looking to slave myself out at a large national firm, does the school name matter at all? From the attorney's I've talked to, this school has a good local reputation.

And while I have your attention, what about transferring? In two years I'll be able to retire. I am originally from Oklahoma and plan on moving there to practice law. Should I transfer after two years in the p/t program to a f/t program at OU (if they'll have me) or should I finish what I start here? How important is it to graduate from a law school that's in the state where you want to practice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mjr24

• View Profile
Re: How important is the school you attend?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 03:30:37 PM »
I think it depends. I do not know how Oklahoma is, but for instance, here in Wisconsin, if you graduate from a Wisconsin law school, you are automatically admitted into the bar so it pays to go to a Wisconsin school if possible. Because I go to school in Illinois, even though I may practice in Wisc. and currently live here, I still will have to take the Wisc. bar.
You know where you want to practice....as you said, you dont want to practice in NY or LA. You dont need to go to Harvard or Duke. The best attorneys in OKL. didnt go to those schools either...they went to OU or OSU. Obviously, going to school where you are going to end up practice may open more networking opportunities. It may also get you accustomed to what OKL. courts are like, etc.