My sexual affiliation is...

male
 15 (53.6%)
female
 11 (39.3%)
a little of both
 2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: POLL: did you learn anything from memo #2 assignment?  (Read 17680 times)

jslick

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - alpinebimmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
POLL: did you learn anything from memo #2 assignment?
« on: January 04, 2005, 03:41:16 PM »
Here's a poll on the scholastic benefits of memo #2, including the instructor feedback.

If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: did you learn anything from memo #2 assignment?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 04:12:09 PM »
Now don't you think that slick as a lawyer's name is redundant?
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 04:54:15 PM »
I learned that the trial courts in Tennessee don't know the law as well as some 1Ls in their first semester.....
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

jslick

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 05:05:08 PM »
If you did actually learn something product, please post your comments about in this thread.

jslick

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 05:09:36 PM »
Redundant name?  Yes, considering that there have been 3 real attorneys in my family, the first being my grandfather, Milo B. Slick, Michigan State, '04.  I understand that one of his first cases was the defense of a farmer, who upon being threatened by a gun-wielding farmer in an argument over a fence line, subsequently killed the gunslinger with an ax. 

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 06:02:33 PM »
I learned that Hogan's C memo is considered "excellent" by someone with these qualifications: 
So, while it may be a C to our prof--- in the real world (where we will actually practice)
it is something that can be "relied upon by the senior partner without hesitation" and that makes me feel fantastic regardless of my arbitrary grade.
This from the firm's website:
Mr. lawyer:(name changed to protect him from trolls) also knows Hogan.
After he read my memo he told me he had litigated many LOIC cases.
Speciality:
Litigation
Healthcare
Focus: Healthcare Litigation
Credentialing and Peer Review
Litigation/Risk Management
Personal Injury Litigation
Mr. X has specialized in litigating civil matters throughout his career, both in state and federal court. He focuses primarily upon the representation of hospitals, physicians and other healthcare providers in healthcare litigation, including medical malpractice, credentialing and peer review, and contractual and regulatory compliance. Mr. X is actively involved in consulting with the firm's healthcare clients on loss prevention and risk management issues, and in coordinating the defense of professional liability and general liability claims.
Mr. X also has litigation experience in product liability actions involving automobiles, trucks, drugs, pesticides, medical devices and manufacturing equipment. In addition, he has prosecuted selected personal injury and wrongful death actions, resulting in over $3.5 million in settlements and judgments. He has extensively participated in all forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Representative matters include the following:
Litigation counsel for major academic medical center and tertiary care hospital for professional liability claims.
Representation of national owner/operators of hospitals and freestanding surgical centers regarding loss prevention, risk management, insurance, credentialing and peer review matters.
Lead defense counsel in consolidated litigation involving multiple fatality nursing home fire.
Mr. X is a Member of the Litigation and the Healthcare Practice Areas in the firm's Nashville Downtown Office. He attended the University of Tennessee at Knoxville where he played on the Varsity Golf Team. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration in 1982. Mr. X then attended the University of Tennessee Law School where he served as student materials editor for the Tennessee Law Review and his case note, Constitutional Law - Limitation of Actions - Application of the Vested Rights Doctrine, 51 Tenn. L. Rev. 129 (Fall 1983), was selected for publication. He earned his Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from the University of Tennessee in 1985.
Mr. X is a member of the American, Tennessee and Nashville Bar Associations, American Health Lawyers Association, and Defense Research Institute. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® and has been selected as one of the Best Lawyers in Nashville (Nashville Post magazine, January 2003).
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

jslick

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 06:46:15 PM »
I was going to post my own objective 3rd party's review comments, but decided that is not worth the web space.

The curious thing is that in my first memo, Ms. Hogan commented that I should work on improving citations and synthesis.  I believe that the cites, form, logic, analysis, and synthesis are much more mature in #2.  Mysteriously, my grade was lower on #2, and (as with everone else in the class) no comments have been offered.

What the hell... I know I have the ability to do this.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 07:34:04 PM »
From the start the grades had the odor of arbitrariness.

jslick

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 07:40:31 PM »
Arbitrariness?

Maybe our grades are subject to arbitration. 

OTOH, according to Mr. Lewis, at arbitration you sit down in a room with people that have been appointed by someone else, you don't get to say much for yourself, and they tell you how it's going to be.  Yes, I do believe we are experiencing arbitration in the writing class.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 07:41:33 PM »
Well, the key to winning arbitration is to move in with the arbitrator.