Law School Discussion

Very disappointed with my grades....venting.

mjr24

Re: Very disappointed with my grades....venting.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 12:20:26 PM »
Alex, I am in the automotive accessory business right now.
I think starting a law firm is very possible for most any attorney graduating out of law school. Granted, it will be harder because you are not only being an attorney, but running a "business". Are you going to be this huge firm with 10 attorneys right away? Of course not, but if you like to work, you will make a good living still.
Alot depends on where you are located as well. I am located right between Milwaukee and Chicago, and although there are a decent amount of attorneys in my city, there arent enough that I cant make a good living. Attorneys in my city at least, advertise in the phone book mainly...you dont see them in the newspaper, etc. As an attorney, the best advertising is word of mouth, especially in a small to midsized city (50-200k population).
You would be surprised....the times I needed an attorney, like for business matters or this and that, I would call some, talk to their secretary and would be told the lawyer would call back, and then they would not. That is business knocking on your door that an attorney loses either because they are too busy or too lazy. I simply called the next name in the phone book.
I think how good an attorney is somewhat overplayed unless you are in a case involving a trial. Most attorneys are very capable, or I hope they would be, of handling most other matters.

mjr24

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 12:25:33 PM »
To clarify my point about how good an attorney is, it was directed at Alex about whether an unexperienced graduate can start their own firm. If you know how to write a contract up, you know how to write a contract up, whether you went to Harvard or a 4th tier, whether your GPA was 3.9 or 2.1. As you said, it is understanding the material....you could go to Harvard but if you dont cut it with clients, you will be out of a job...and vice versa. Big firms dont cater to private indivisuals very much, they cater to corporations, businesses, and the people involved in those companies with their personal matters. 

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 05:52:40 PM »
Well be happy that you got all your grades back.  My school is still on the ancient stone tablet system so we won't see anything until about March!  No kidding.

mjr24

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 11:28:52 PM »
Why do they take so long? That is ridiculous.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 06:20:34 PM »
I mean, i can understand it takes a little while to read al those exams but seriously though.  it took me 4 hours to write it, it can't possibly take you longer than 4 hours to read it.

dgatl

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 06:26:10 PM »
I mean, i can understand it takes a little while to read al those exams but seriously though.  it took me 4 hours to write it, it can't possibly take you longer than 4 hours to read it.

i was just thinking of it this way.  i typed an average of 10 single spaced pages for each exam.  The exam program makes that 20 pages double spaced when it gets printed.  Each professor has what, 70 to 80 students?  That's 1600 pages of reading per professor!  Plus they still gotta eat, sleep, etc.  And be legal scholars (which is why they're in academia, not to grade incompetent 1L exams).

that train of thought lasted about 30 seconds.  i want my grades NOW.