Law School Discussion

Very disappointed with my grades....venting.

mjr24

Very disappointed with my grades....venting.
« on: January 04, 2005, 03:52:58 AM »
   I am going part-time right now and just finished my second semester at a lower-tier school, which is 18 CR worth thus far (or a semester pretty much if full-time). My GPA is 2.35, which is horrible. Am I screwed, or is there still time to get it up to something respectable before I graduate? I got a D in one class which absolutely killed this semester's GPA, or else I would be up at around 2.65-2.7, which would have been much better after a semester. The only good thing I take out of this is the fact I have all my credits and am not on probation.
   I am very discouraged right now. I dont put enough time into law school, which is my own fault. I was really looking for good grades this semester to catapult me into success, I still have doubts as to whether I belong in law school. My first year at undergraduate I received about a 2.3 or so....but my next semester I was over 3.5 and stayed up there for most of remaining semesters. That 3.5 the second semester was the confidence I needed that I could do it.
   My problem is I own my own business, and quite honestly, make quite alot of money, more than most lawyers make by far. That is the problem, because of that, I dont take law school as serious as I should. Being an attorney is what is going to provide my income in case my business fails. Sometimes I wish I were like other normal law students who are so miserable at their jobs that they try extremely hard to do well and have that time to put into school, thus getting really good grades. When I was in undergrad, I hadnt started my business and had normal jobs that people in college have, and had plenty of time to focus on school.
   Maybe I need a good swift kick in the ass? Maybe I am lazy? I tell myself that, but I work very hard with my business, but put in minimal time preparing for class and tests. I guess my question is, at what point should a law student consider discontinuing school? At what GPA should one start considering to withdrawal? Even if I do well the next semester, say 3.8.....my GPA is still only 2.8, which Im not sure is alot to brag about either.
   I know grades do not make the lawyer. Upon graduating, I was considering starting my own law firm. The only way I try to make myself feel better here is by telling myself that if I do start my own firm, my grades really do not matter. There is no one to interview with, etc. etc. All that matters is if I pass the bar, and then my reputation is based on my actual skills as a lawyer.
   Sorry for the length, just venting.

jeffjoe

• ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Very disappointed with my grades....venting.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 07:10:36 AM »
Vent away.  That's what the internet is for.   :D

It sounds like you shouldn't be discouraged.  You are surviving on a minimal effort.  If that is enough for you, you're on your way to success.  If it is not enough, you're asking yourself the right questions.  Is this really what I want?  If you're looking at a JD as a trade to fall back on if the business goes sour, that may not be a sound decision. 

In other words, stay in school if you are satisfied with your grades; get better or get out if you're not satisfied.  I think you should be the judge of an adequate GPA.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 04:16:43 AM »
Yeah you seem to be clearly disapointed with the grades as they are now, which means you can do better.  So my only question for you is, what are you waiting for?

mjr24

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 09:47:30 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. I did get my last grade in today and I am in a little better shape than when I wrote this. It is a start. As you said, what am I waiting for.

dgatl

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 09:38:19 PM »
well how do you compared against the forced curve? 

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 09:49:51 AM »
If if makes you feel any better, I will have to repeat a couple of courses, so my graduation is delayed.  I also lost my scholarship for the second semester, so I have to pay twice as much as an out of state student AND I am on academic probation.  If I don't end up with a 2.0 at the end of the year, I'll be dismissed from school.  I probably should've quit a long time ago and joined the military. :'(

mjr24

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 02:38:11 PM »
I wish you luck crr277. Why not start your own law firm after school? Quite honestly, and I thought about this, I have had to go to attorneys a few times for different things, and I never asked nor cared where they graduated from or what their GPA was. I mean really....outside of employer firms, who cares? If you have a law degree and pass the bar, you are a lawyer, simply put, and can earn your keep based on your skills as an attorney, not how well you crammed or retained info. for the Torts test.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 06:37:21 PM »
Thanks, mjr24.  I don't really want to work for a large firm anyway.  I'm leaning towards the medium to small sized firms if no one will hire me for public interest work. 

I do have a back-up plan for starting my own business if being a lawyer turns into a bust.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 12:48:35 AM »
mjr24, can I ask what business you are in?

I also want to start my own firm right after graduation. Do you really think that's going to be posssible though, considering being a good attorney usually takes experience (which usually comes from working for someone else for a few years)? And second, how do you plan on getting advertising and things like that? I'm not trying to discourage you. I just want to know if this is really going to be possible for us. I wouldn't mind doing Real Estate law, which is usually in small firms anyway. Immigration law is also not that bad.

It would definitely be nice if we can just work from home right after graduation, which would mean grades would be far less important than actually understanding the material.   :D

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 11:13:31 AM »
I also want to start my own firm right after graduation. Do you really think that's going to be posssible though, considering being a good attorney usually takes experience (which usually comes from working for someone else for a few years)?

A guy who graduated from my school in May '04 is now a partner in his own firm.  It can be done.  I'm sure many have done it successfully, and I am equally certain that many more have failed.  But it can be done.  :)