Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is there a conservative top 10 school with a laid back attitude?  (Read 1526 times)

Hilarity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I will say up front that I'm a law school applicant, so probably shouldn't be on this side of the board, but I figured law school students would know the answer to this question better than applicants.  I'm applying to basically the top 10 law schools and heard that Michigan is pretty laid back, but very liberal (politically).  I want a conservative school with accessible professors and a semi-non competitive environment.  Possible, or fantasy?

delton

• View Profile
Re: Is there a conservative top 10 school with a laid back attitude?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 09:12:14 AM »
I don't think it's a top 10 school, but Pepperdine in Malibu is very conservative and very laid back as only a "surfer school" can be.  Nevertheless, I think they have a decent reputation and you will enjoy the conservative environment (not to mention the beach - take a look at their web site for incredible views!).  Plus they have a great entertainment law department if you want to work in movies or TV.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 04:44:11 AM »
UVa

Come on.  Conservative.  BYU, W&L maybe

kapeter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 11:00:01 PM »
I go to Pepperdine, and the faculty is conservative, but the students are normal kids.  They go out on Fridays, but they study hard.  There are outlets if you are religious, but nobody is ever pushed.  The only way that it is brought out in class is that they emphasize legal ethics. 

finko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 03:39:51 PM »
I am looking for a very liberal school, but one that makes you go in full military uniform to class. Any rec's

whoami

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 05:15:35 AM »
I attend Pepperdine as well, but disagree with kapeter - my first semester faculty was composed of 5 Dems and 1 Republican.  I'm fairly liberal and was frankly scared to come here.  But, as kapeter said - the students are normal and the school doesn't push anything on you. 

P.S. - It's not a surfer school.  I don't think any law school ever could be.  I came here pledging to go to the beach once during the week and every weekend.  I've been there 3 times since August.  I can see the ocean from my window, however.