Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Academic Dismissal  (Read 2665 times)

1LinFLA

• View Profile
Academic Dismissal
« on: December 29, 2004, 08:45:49 PM »
I have just posted a 2.00 GPA for the first semester.  Needless to see I am losing my mind because the school has told me that I am going to be academically dismissed.  What can I do about this?  Is there an appeal process?  Does anyone have experience with this?  Please respond if you do...

Duner

• MSN Messenger - jkorduner@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LSUConnMan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jkorduner
    • View Profile
    • Duner's LSU Law Blog
    • Email
Re: Academic Dismissal
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 02:30:56 AM »
what school do you attend? that's pretty disturbing, my school at least has academic probation for those with a 1.7+ after the first semester. then you need to finish the second semester with a 2.0 cum. i was sodomized pretty miserably, but the grades still haven't posted. i'm waiting until they do until i buy next semester's books.

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 11:41:04 AM »
Yeah I'm sorry to hear that man.  Just hearing that makes me spooked.  Its time to turn to the student handbook and holler at admissions too, I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened.  I don't know which school you're at or its policy but I've heard that schools who dismiss after the first semester generally have an appeal process.
Burning Sands

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 07:04:06 PM »
I agree with burningsands. 

Try to appeal to the academic dean by saying that you will sign a form stating that you will cut down on work hours, that you will attend tutors or attend TA office hours and have to get a written signed progress report from the tutor or TA, something like that, and you will have to report to the academic dean once a week.  Tell him/her that you get a cumulative 3.0 or something higher than what others get, since you messed up the first semester, that you will show him/her that you are serious by getting a higher GPA. 

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 03:06:55 PM »
You have to completely @#!* up everything to get dismissed.

1LinFLA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 05:47:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I have been dismissed after talking, pleading. begging, etc with everyone from the janitor to the dean.  there is no appeal process if you have less than a 2.15.  needless to say I am looking into grad school and maybe law school in the future.  the school is St. Thomas in Miami Gardens Florida

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 05:53:48 PM »
good luck to ya

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »
I'm sure it hurts.  I had a few friends who did not return after first year.  In my estimation there were several people who were smart and hard working and just suffered from not picking up the system fast enough.  No big surprise when you consider that so many profs are hiding the ball and their expectations. 
Good luck in grad school or wherever life takes you.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 03:05:49 AM »
I had a friend that was kicked out of law school their first year also for academic reasons.  After 2 years, he reapplied, and got in.  He is now in his 4th year at a PT evening program and will graduate soon.

If you want it bad enough, you will get it.  It might just take longer than usual but you can still do it. 

Thanks for the advice.  I have been dismissed after talking, pleading. begging, etc with everyone from the janitor to the dean.  there is no appeal process if you have less than a 2.15.  needless to say I am looking into grad school and maybe law school in the future.  the school is St. Thomas in Miami Gardens Florida

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 12:52:51 PM »
I can't believe your school has such a strict policy.  At my school you are on academic probation when you get less than a 2.0, but you are given another semester to try to raise it up.  After that you are dismissed if it hasn't come up to 2.0, but there are procedures for reinstatement, such as you write an essay about how you are going to improve your grades, your future goals, etc...and you can submit letters from professors on your behalf, etc..., then the entire situation is reviewed by a panel of profs. and students.  I believe that even if you are dismissed after this you can try one more time to get reinstated. Your school doesn't seem very student friendly; I mean, it isn't exactly uncommon for 1L first semester grades to be lower.  It is probably the lowest grades a student will get in law school.  If you apply to another law school in the future I would do an addendum explaining how close you were to 2.15 and that you put your best effort forward to work with the school to stay on.  I would imagine a lot of schools' policies are not as strict as theirs.