Law School Discussion

Did everyone pass your exams?

jeffjoe

• ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Did everyone pass your exams?
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 11:38:02 AM »
something about consideration or something, so I heard

Our prof said that there is contract with a little c and contract with a big C.  So if you see a big C, it's a contract.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 11:53:48 AM »
I dunno, I think if you see any BIG C's at this point then that probably means that you didn't understand what a contract was afterall.

jeffjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 12:07:27 PM »
I dunno, I think if you see any BIG C's at this point then that probably means that you didn't understand what a contract was afterall.

I see them everywhere now. 

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 03:23:46 PM »
uh oh :o

duma

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 08:40:29 PM »
I am still waiting..... >:(

jeffjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2005, 06:56:33 AM »
Couple B's, couple C's. Passed sure. But don't feel so good. Third tier school. Mediocre grades at a mediocre school. Doesn't seem promising. Plus your first year grades are good indicators of the likelihood of your passing the bar exam on your first try. < sigh > Better buckle down and have a good Spring semester or doesn't seem like much point in continuing. Hope you all had better experiences.

It's a long way from 1L to bar exam.  A lot can change including you.  Don't listen to the nay-sayers.  Hang in there.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2005, 11:57:38 AM »
Even more than that, I'm finding that there are generally two types of law students...

Type A - the majority view.  They understand all the bits and pieces of the law, have all the mneumonics down cold, speak up every now and again in class, but don't understand the development of property law, don't understand why we have contract law, never stopped to take a step back and look at the big picture of tort law, etc.  The ironic thing is that when it comes to exams, they have enough memorized to squeeze out a B+ or an A-, but they really don't understand the law...just enough to do well on the exam.

Type B - the minority view. They understand the big picture.  The student who takes their time to digest the material and understand the relevance of the cases. Maybe even goes above and beyond by reading the cases in the notes as well just to gain more understanding. May not speak up so much in class because he/she is still internalizing all the angles.  By the end of the semester they have a comprehensive understanding of the law and how it works, but they may not have had time to gather all the pieces just yet that their classmates have probably memorized for the exams.  Depending on when the course clicked for them during the semester, they may get an A, or they might get a C.

Based on what the professors and other lawyers say, the type A student struggles to pass the bar, and there's a good chance they'll have to take it more than once.  Why? Because they didn't understand Civ Pro the first time around, let alone 3 years later on a bar exam. The Type B student however gets in and out and nails the bar the first time.

Moral of the story...sometimes you know more than you think.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 04:19:33 AM »
I'm hearing more and more of my friends at other law schools are getting their grades back and not liking it.

Knowing my grades are not coming until at least February I just can't get too excited about it yet.

duma

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 07:16:35 AM »
I got all but one of my grades back.... and so far I like it.  ;D

Dicta

• Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2005, 07:43:54 AM »
CONGRATS! i hope I cry from joy, rather than pain!

How did everyone do?  What grades did you get on all your exams?

Our grades will be posted in Jan but our Contracts prof has already graded our exams and he emailed our grades...I got a B...I almost cried...seriously.