Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accreditation v. S.C Approval  (Read 2720 times)

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Accreditation v. S.C Approval
« on: December 25, 2004, 08:41:06 AM »
Since it seems that the ABA is not ready to accredit DL Law Schools,  has anyone else given consideration to the plausibility of Supreme Court's approval of the schools. (In some states the approval of the S.C. is the alternative to ABA accreditation for the requirement to sit for the Bar.)

Other than realizing that there is an alternative, what would be the first step?
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Accreditation v. S.C Approval
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 11:53:13 AM »
The SC in each state is the only institution that can approve a school's graduates to sit for the bar.  It's just that all the SCs approve all schools with ABA approval.  My school is not ABA approved, but it is approved by the Tennessee Supreme Court.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 10:22:24 AM »
I believe that most of the DL law schools are located in California. There is also one in Honolulu, and some others which offer only Master's and Doctorates.

What is the school at Tennessee, and is there a complete list of DL law schools somewhere?
"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 12:52:14 PM »
I believe that most of the DL law schools are located in California. There is also one in Honolulu, and some others which offer only Master's and Doctorates.

What is the school at Tennessee, and is there a complete list of DL law schools somewhere?

I noticed that most DL law schools are in California.  I think there is one in Massachusetts or New York also.  Someone pointed to a list on the web, but I can't remember where.

My school is not a distance law school.  It is a night school and part-time.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

chaser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 12:50:50 PM »
I think there are some pretty good DL schools in Great Britain, where you could get the equivalent common law degree.

I might be mistaken, but I think there is even a way that you could become a Solicitor in the UK by DL--though I don't think a Barrister.

(They have a two-tiered sort of "caste system.")

I think there is a pretty good common law DL school even in the Netherlands.

For a complete list, get the book "The Law School Bible," by Peter Loughlin, for about 30-bucks on http://www.amazon.com.  (Plus, he lists a bunch of other "tricks."  It's worth the $30--expecially, if someday you can end up billing $500 per hour!)  (His actual Web page is http://www.thelawschoolbible.com.)

Thanks.
C

"Civilization is the process of reducing the infinite to the finite."  Oliver Wendell Holmes

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 08:13:18 PM »
I live in Mass. but I'm not aware of any distance learning (DL) law schools here.  There are 2 state accredited but not ABA accredited schools here; Mass. School of Law, where I go, and SE Mass. School of Law, which is merging into the UMass system with the intention of getting accredited in the future (they were denied accreditation several years ago.)

Of course, the ABA accredited schools in Boston (especially Suffolk and New England) are fighting the UMass tooth and nail; they certainly don't want an accredited public (lower tuition) alternative available.