Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Depression  (Read 2784 times)

SleepyGuyYawn

• View Profile
Depression
« on: December 20, 2004, 06:03:18 PM »
So I've been hearing all of these stats about depression in law school and how it's out of control.  Do ya'll find this to be true?  I'm going to be starting next year and the depression issue has me worried (as I went through some serious depression as an adolescent).

What do law students do to keep from becoming depressed (other than not being law students :) 

Thanks

lawboy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 06:06:31 PM »
and the depression issue has me worried (as I went through some serious depression as an adolescent).

What do law students do to keep from becoming depressed (other than not being law students :) 

Thanks

if being a kid was depressing i would think twice about law school

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 11:54:29 AM »
I study outside (in a quiet place) as much as possible.  Reading by sunlight makes me feel less bogged down.

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 06:44:33 PM »
i also always had a problem with depression...it's just been a part of my life...regarding the impact of law school on depression....well, as one who has just completed her first semester of law school....to be honest, there's no TIME in law school to be depressed...which could be a blessing in disguise...i don't know about you, but me personally: i was always more inclined to depression when i was bored or had a lot of free time and lack of direction...law school pretty much takes all of those elements away...i have personally felt some depression lately...but my reasons are because, i am 2,000 miles away from all of my family and the friends that i've formed over the years....and b/c there is no time in law school for anything other than studying, there's no time to really form new frienships...so, i personally feel very lonely and isolated at times....which you may experience too if you are far from home....but, i think it's all worth it in the long run...

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 05:50:14 PM »
I think the key is to have a balanced life. You can't just study law all day and night, you have to sometimes go out with family, go workout, work, etc.  I know you probably think this is impossible from the rumors you hear that law school is crazy, and it is to a certain degree, but if you can manage your time well, this will be your biggest savior. Everyone will tell you that managing time well is the key to survival in law school, especially your first year.

What helps me personally is, I am training for a triathlon for early next year. It's not a full on training schedule like 2 hours a day, but rather a 30 minute workout a day.  I'm not going to be on the podium, but rather a "BOPer" but it helps me balance my life out a bit and helps me relieve stress, and helps me realize that life is not all about studying and law school. 

You can always come to this board and get some pointers and help. Except for a few, you will get very sound advice. 

Good luck and don't think about it too much.  That's probably creating more stress. 

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 11:49:44 AM »
I agree.  Balance is needed.  I've goofed off the last two days so my grandchildren will remember what I look like, so my wife won't think she's a widow and so I can feel a little bit normal.  It's a compromise.

I will not get the best grades I might, but I will be somewhat whole. 
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 12:49:26 PM »
Yea, thanks again for the advice.  I do run in the occasional 5k or 10k and I guess keeping that up will be a good way to not get so stressed out.  Good idea there.

Running stresses me out, unless I'm being chased by someone.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 12:17:52 PM »
How do we handle depression in law school?  Pass me that Belvedere and I'll show ya  ;D

But seriously, I have to agree with boxergirl, there really is no time to be depressed.  You are so busy, and your mind is so busy, that law school basically consumes you for 4 months straight.  Plus I made a lot of friends in my law school class this 1st semester and we've all got really close, hanging out all the time, etc. For my birthday in November some of the class got together, ordered me a pizza, but a candle in it and we studied property all night long.  So even when we are "relaxing" you're still studying or thinking about law school.

Plus somebody else said it, don't burn yourself out either.  Balance is key. I found that I could study about 6 days in a row until midnight every night non-stop, but on that 7th or 8th day I had to get out and go do something else non-law related. You'll have your own rythm too.
Burning Sands

Smokey Griggs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 08:13:33 PM »
true.  all true.  and speaking of rhythm, i'd like to further add:  don't forget to masturbate.  cause yer screwed if ya start f-ing one a yer classmates...

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005, 10:53:05 PM »
As crude as that sounds, the classmate f*cking thing, it is true.  Don't mess with anybody in your class.  You're asking for trouble. Then you gotta drop out of law school just to avoid drama on a daily basis, and you don't want that.
Burning Sands