Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does this annoy anyone else?  (Read 2287 times)

SLJ0720

• View Profile
Does this annoy anyone else?
« on: December 16, 2004, 06:58:50 PM »
Does anyone else get annoyed when relatives, friends, etc...not in law school, who don't understand what it's like, make comments about how great they think you probably did on finals?  I know they mean well, but it really gets on my nerves, especially after I explain to them over and over about how the grading works in law school and how different grades are here than in college.  Anyone else have this happen?

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does this annoy anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 09:39:17 PM »
I'd say I'm more annoyed when people don't seem to understand when you say you've got a lot of work to do for finals, prep, and all that -- that you really do have a lot of prep to do.

And, yeah, the "you did great" thing doesn't help when you're busily kicking yourself over an issue you spotted but didn't write about.

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 09:58:25 PM »
Yeah, a problem I had throughout the semester was everyone calling me when I was trying to do my work.  One phone call isn't bad, but when you have 3 or so people calling in one night it is time consuming.  Sometimes I would just not answer, but then they'd wonder if something was wrong, so eventually I would and have to politely get myself off the phone. 

lawboy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 10:41:07 PM »
I actually look for people to call or I even clean the house, basically anything to keep from studying for finals.

i guess i should say..oh no...i can't stay away from people. i can't ever find the time to study.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 11:05:18 AM »
My favorite is the: "so, how did you do on the exam?" I say, "I have no idea, just hope that I have done better then 10 other ppl."

lawboy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 11:16:08 AM »
My favorite is the: "so, how did you do on the exam?" I say, "I have no idea, just hope that I have done better then 10 other ppl."

amen duma.

i typically say, "there is a lot of folks in this class, i know there is a dozen or so that are stupider than me."

War of attrition man....war of attrition

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 12:23:50 PM »
Yes I hate it when even the 2L's and 3L's say you did fine.  How do you know?  Did you see the crap i put on my exam?  I know they are trying to ease the pressure but sometimes it adds to it.

But my number 1 pet peeve has got to be the phone thing.  I just had a conversation with somebody last night about why I didn't call them back???  ???  What the HELL do you mean why didn't I call you back?  Obviously I'm in law school finals you genius, stop asking stupid questions!  Man I hate that question.  It pushes my buttons to even have to expain myself to somebody on WHY I didnt call them back.  Because I didn't.  Period. 
Burning Sands

dgatl

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 03:33:28 PM »
the worst is your family not understanding why you're too tired to fly home the day after finals are over.  oh, and they want to talk to you about how your finals went half an hour after your last exam when the only thing on your mind is tequila

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 04:23:06 PM »
My pet peeve isn't anyone else (my family and friends are pretty understanding). My pet peeve is MYSELF. I am completely unable to calm down for several days after my finals are over. My last exam ended at noon today and I felt really good about them overall, but ever since I finished, I can't stop doing things. I got out of the exam, went to the bookstore, sold my books and got the books for next semester. I came home and started cleaning out my office and cleaning the house. For the next several days (as history will repeat itself as usual), I will basically have the uncontrollable urge to keep doing SOMETHING. It is like I have all this energy and I don't feel like I can rest. I feel like I have to keep doing something since I have been in exam mode for two weeks. It drives me crazy. Last semester, it took me two to three days to even go to sleep. I don't know what it is, it never happened until law school.

Smokey Griggs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 07:29:48 PM »
ha!  ain't outa law school yet and yer all assholizin' quite nicely.  excellent.  i'm proud of you all, my dearest comrades.  within a year or so you should be completely unfuckingloveable.  by the time yer hired associates, you'll be getting kicks running over small dogs in the street with the polished suv on the way home from the office, lol...