Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: John Marshall--Atlanta...  (Read 778 times)

FutureLaw

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
John Marshall--Atlanta...
« on: December 15, 2004, 07:56:43 PM »
I've heard that it has been ABA approved.  Is this true?  What is the future outlook for this institution? 

dgatl

Re: John Marshall--Atlanta...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 11:20:43 PM »
i do not believe it is ABA approved.  to be honest, I would suggest against attending John Marshall because there is pretty stiff competition for jobs 5 law schools in the state of GA:  Emory, UGa, GSU, Mercer, and John Marshall.  Depending on your numbers, look into GSU or Mercer (GSU is public so a good choice if you're a GA resident).

FutureLaw

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 11:30:02 PM »
Just saw this on their website:

Accreditation Recommended
The Council of the Section on Legal Education and Admission to the Bar of the American Bar Association has approved John Marshall Law School - Atlanta to be added to the list of schools approved by the ABA as a provisionally approved school. This approval will be forwarded to the House of Delegates of the ABA for their concurrence at the mid-winter meeting of the Association in February, 2005.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 11:50:03 PM »
Yea, I would wait until you see it at LSAC. Then you'll know it's official.  If it becomes provisionally approved, LSAC will add it to their list of approved law schools.

On a side note, I believe that the provisional status is 5 years, then it goes back into committee, so if you attended and graduated during that time, even though they lose their provisional license after 5 years, then you still be considered graduating from an ABA school. 

But that doesn't solve the other problem about having 5 "higher" ranked schools in the area.

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 08:42:08 AM »
Forget waiting on the LSAC just check the ABA's website in February.  Honestly it would take an act of God to keep JM from gaining provisional accreditation now, if the House of Delegates voted against the recommendations of the Council it would surely invite a law suit.  Expect applications to John Marshall to skyrocket, especially for their PT evening program.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!