Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TORTS EXAM = RIDICULOUS  (Read 2140 times)

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
TORTS EXAM = RIDICULOUS
« on: December 14, 2004, 08:07:26 PM »
In my entire life I have never felt defeated.  I’ve even lost at track meets and never felt defeated b/c I gave my all…but on my Torts Exam today, I left feeling as though I had been defeated and I gave my very best!!!

That was the craziest exam that I have ever encountered (and probably ever will encounter) in my life!  First of all, there were 50 multiple choice that were not too bad, but some would go into this insane fact pattern with all of these people doing all of these things and then the question would say, “what response is most likely true?  A) Shavell would say that X should not recover b/c… b) Grady would say that so and so… c) Posner would say that since the tort law crisis Y should blah blah blah”  Thankfully, I made a THEORY OUTLINE as well!

Another thing, we did not even have a fact pattern for an essay!!!  We were given a 4 line article from a news source and had to write about it and then we could choose to write on 1 of the other 2 essays.  One was on X and Y’s debate (forgot their names) on the Last Clear Chance Doctrine and the other was on the Comparative Negligence System.

I did my best…

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: TORTS EXAM = RIDICULOUS
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 10:21:07 PM »
I am sure you did fine and it wasn't as bad as you think.  Sounds like making the theory outline probably helped.

You're lucky, though.  I WISH I could have a multiple choice section on my torts final!

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 11:05:40 AM »
I think torts exams are supposed to leave you with that just f-d feeling. (Of course, with no lube.)

I didn't finish mine. There were major issues I didn't hit. There was also a policy question, but I think I BS'd that one ok.

A friend in a different section w/same prof/same exam said that about 5 people in his section left about an hour early. I think I'd be more scared for them than of them.

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 12:03:22 PM »
1LWhit - I'm glad that you have confirmed what so many others have been saying about the Torts final.  Most cats I know at other law schools have said the same thing.  They walked into Torts thinking "ahhh...TORTS...please, this is TOO easy.  No need to sweat it"...and then walked out of the exam pretty much reciting what you just said.

I will definitely devote much more attention to my torts exam now....

... as soon as I can get this Crim law monkey off my back that is.
Burning Sands

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 01:45:38 PM »
Yes, focus on torts.  It's not as simple/easy as it seems.  I came out of my first torts exam (about 2 months ago) thinking I aced it, and ended up with a solid C, 79%.  I just finished my torts midterm last night, 3 hours, but only 2 essays. Thank god I had no multiple choice but it was still a race horse.

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 03:41:28 PM »
Look to the original post...

One of the essay questions that we could choose to write on, "Discuss X and Y's debate on the Last Clear Chance Doctrine.  What implications would X have on blah blah blah." Well guess who X and Y are???  OUR CLASSMATES!  I talked to my friend today about that question b/c I told him that I had no clue who X and Y were and I asked when we covered those philosophers.  My friend laughed and said, "Those are our classmates!  They went back and forth in class about the LCCD one day."  WTF?!?!?!  I cannot believe that our prof would test us over what our classmates said!  What a friggin joke!  I'm sure the person that answered that question is guaranteed an A+!!!!!!!!!!

joeydale

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 09:20:54 PM »
Yes, focus on torts.  It's not as simple/easy as it seems.  I came out of my first torts exam (about 2 months ago) thinking I aced it, and ended up with a solid C, 79%.  I just finished my torts midterm last night, 3 hours, but only 2 essays. Thank god I had no multiple choice but it was still a race horse.

I'm not a law student yet, but isn't a C in law school supposed to be bad?  ???

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 09:25:21 PM »
It's good for survival; it's bad for success.

I'm not a law student yet, but isn't a C in law school supposed to be bad?  ???
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

joeydale

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 10:47:09 PM »
You can still probably get decent jobs even with C's, right? Like at smaller firms...

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 11:15:26 PM »
Where I'm at, straight C's is flunking out. (I think 3.2 and above is good; 3.0 -- not good.)

Look to the original post...

One of the essay questions that we could choose to write on, "Discuss X and Y's debate on the Last Clear Chance Doctrine. What implications would X have on blah blah blah." Well guess who X and Y are??? OUR CLASSMATES! I talked to my friend today about that question b/c I told him that I had no clue who X and Y were and I asked when we covered those philosophers. My friend laughed and said, "Those are our classmates! They went back and forth in class about the LCCD one day." WTF?!?!?! I cannot believe that our prof would test us over what our classmates said! What a friggin joke! I'm sure the person that answered that question is guaranteed an A+!!!!!!!!!!
This wasn't clear from the original post, but I'll agree with you. That's insane. The only thing I can offer is you're probably not the only one who missed that little factoid.