Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any other Spring 2005 new students?  (Read 7228 times)

BLAKEAGGIE98

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - BlakeAggie98
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Any other Spring 2005 new students?
« on: December 11, 2004, 12:03:19 PM »
I am starting STCL in spring 2005, any future classmates? Any advice from current students?
South Texas College of Law here I come!

JoeG

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any other Spring 2005 new students?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 11:12:51 PM »
I'm headed to South Texas in the spring as well.

I obviously can't give any advice since I'm just as clueless as anyone.  I'm in the process of trying to find a place to live right now.

BLAKEAGGIE98

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 01:34:32 PM »
Good luck on finding a place to live. Should be no proble in Houston. I am going to live with my inlaws in League City. I plan on just riding the bus in, guess I will see how that goes. Maybe I will see you at orientation.
Blake

JoeG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 07:04:49 PM »
I just rented a shoe box at the Houston House Apartments.  It's like 2 blocks from school so I should be able to walk.  So we'll see how that goes.

HtownFF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 11:48:58 PM »
I just rented a shoe box at the Houston House Apartments.  It's like 2 blocks from school so I should be able to walk.  So we'll see how that goes.

Dang, that's closer than my office from school.  You two full or part time?  Have you received orientation information yet?

Blake, have you checked out the buses yet - I don't know what the situation with METRO is out on that side of town, but it's not good to the north (I live near Conroe)

BLAKEAGGIE98

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 09:58:20 AM »
I will be attending full time. Luckily I have a very supportive wife! I am not sure about the Metro. I checked their website and it looks like they have a park and ride at Bay Area Mall and the bus goes right to San Jacinto St. I am going to move down on the 7th so I will probably spend all day monday the 10th trying to figure out how the bus runs timing etc.. If I can get a bus pass and the schedule works then that will be another 1.5 hours I can spend studying rather than driving. from what I have heard every hour in your day counts. I have not heard anything about orientation other than it is on Wed, Thur, and Sat?? seems strange to have it on a Sat. I a really looking forward to getting started though!

JoeG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 06:40:53 PM »
I'm full time also.  And yeah, I've yet to receive any info on orientation.  In fact I haven't received any info at all except what is on the admitted student webpage. 

I'm definitely ready to get this ball rolling though.  The anticipation is killing me.

HtownFF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 06:38:38 PM »
The orientation information is on the website now.  The password has not changed. BTW, a couple of the profs have the first assignments up on the website (FT only, none of the PT prof's have put the assignments up).

BLAKEAGGIE98

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2004, 06:45:56 PM »
I went ahead and bought the book for Civ Pro. I found it online at Wal-Mart (seems kinda funny wal mart would have law books) Anyway they were the cheapest and I can't imagine the bookstore will be cheaper. It was $82 plus I get 5% for my sons college through upromise, (maybe I will be able to pay his way through college by buying my textbooks!) FWIW
Blake
See yall at orientation!

sliM44`

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 04:44:52 PM »
South Tex05 1L to be... I have not received the orientation info. email with the instructions of how to access the admitted students page (as was instructed would happen by the receptionist).  I have already turned in my seat deposit a couple of weeks ago...any guidance???

BTW, I am a local Houstonian.

Ditto on the suburbia route .... my folks live in S'Land.  Thats why I moved in closer from home ... its a literal crapshoot each day.  30 minutes once in a milennium (weekends, late at night) and a guaranteed mind-blower most days ... if you do choose to live in suburbs, do the park and ride. metro is very tolerable (most are commuters from the suburbs and a lot of folks catch up on zzz's). not a bad route. although i calculated the monthly housing allowance based on the year's rate - about 650/mo.  you can EASILY find good, safe , clean accomodations close into town (except DT and midtown) for close to 650.

For those wondering where to stay/rent:
I live in the Galleria (and love it!) I may need to rent out my condo :o( but will have to wait and see what kind of fin. aid package I get.  Absolutely recommend Midtown (but most expensive) if you want new and trendy ... other top spots are the rice village area, med center (my first apt. - Lanesborugh on Fannin/Braeswood - very affordable compared to the rest in that area and very new and nice), Montrose area (opposite side of 59 from rice village area), or downtown - a stone's throw away at Houston House.  My big bro lives there ... it is a shoebox but folks seem to be pretty friendly and a LOT of South Tex students live there. Literally just a block south of the school on Fannin (parallel to San Jacinto).There is also allen house on allen parkway very close to DT.  They have a shuttle service worth checking out.

Great food ... lots of cheap and GOOD places to eat near DT and around.  Reply or PM me if you want to hear of any of my rec's./faves.  DT at 2 am on fr/sa night ... frank's pizza on travis!  always my fave. for dirt cheap and pretty damn decent.

Stuff to do ... DT revitalized, and other places like Montrose and Rice Village always have a scene. the night scene is definitely a place for all on Fr/Sa nights to just grab a beer (Slainte's in DT, and Black Lab in montrose, but Rice village is the best ... BrianOneills, Gingerman's, Baker Street), lounge (Devenport's on Greenbriar ... martinis rock! and Prive', Belmar), dance (sorry, not my speed lately but Belmar is good for latin and SkyBAr for jazzy/ great live music/ but pricey drinks  nights) .... its all there. 

oohhhh, the pitfalls of a sucky job .. leaving in April end (thank god) and having WAY too much time on my hands to do nothing but obsess about law school in all its famed glory. STCL, here i come!

next task ... research what kind of laptop bag to use.

sorry for the rambling ... just tryin to be helpful ... also excited ...first post after a lot of trolling (please do forgive)