Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bar Exam Structure.....  (Read 10736 times)

multiplechoice

• View Profile
Re: Bar Exam Structure.....
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2008, 10:51:49 PM »

Also the bar exam likes a certain style of writing, many short paragraphs with the point being right out there rather than in the middle of a paragraph.

Are the essays scored by a computer or by a real person?

Real people.

Even if they wanted to create some kind of computer program to score the essays, they'd not dare to use it.

Keep thinking and hoping they wouldn't do that, s u n d a y! Do you expect them to have any scruples?
[Referring to a glass of water:]
I mixed this myself. Two parts H, one part O. I don't trust anybody!

just sex

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2008, 11:15:55 PM »

Hill has had a lot of extracurriculars ... but no genius there ...

Well, as far as a politician is concerned, that's what it really matters -- being socially active, having people skills -- you don't have to an intellectual genius to get into, and be successful, in politics.

You hit the nail on the @ # ! * i n g head! For those type of jobs, SOCIAL SKILLS is the most important qualification.
I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place.

s t u f f

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2008, 03:07:08 AM »

Well, as far as a politician is concerned, that's what it really matters -- being socially active, having people skills -- you don't have to an intellectual genius to get into, and be successful, in politics.

You hit the nail on the @ # ! * i n g head! For those type of jobs, SOCIAL SKILLS is the most important qualification.

Or, more appropriately, being a whore, whoring.

Kore

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2008, 01:41:14 AM »
I interviewed at a couple of places for a position as an SA and at both of them it was just like I was screened whether I'd perform well as a whore on board... you know, that was the kind of attitude from the interviewing personnel (I got out right away after 10-15 minutes, taken into account my character and personality).

A couple of guys looked real good, though - I left out thinking it'd be kind of fun to go out with them once or twice.. As for working there, thanks a lot, still not whoring away.

black widow

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2008, 11:48:48 AM »
Don't lose hope, Kore - there will be someone out there who'll treat you as a real law professional - not like the next "hot babe" of the week - take the word of a mother who was in your position many years back!

And maybe one day you'll understand that this "little advice" you're getting today from me is worth a million! :)

If I were to tell you to answer a question falsely, would your false answer be a lie?

Teach Me Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »

Or, more appropriately, being a whore, whoring.

Are you being literal or figurative, stuff? Or both?

whit1981

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2008, 02:27:14 PM »
OHIO:

Day 1:
(a) 9am-12pm: 6 essays (1/2 hour each)

(b) 1pm-4pm: 2 MPTs (90 minutes each)

Day 2:
(a) 9am-12pm: 100 MBE (multiple-choice) questions

(b) 1pm-4pm: 100 MBE questions (total of 200)

Day 2.5

(a) 9am-12pm: 6 essay questions

(b) 1pm until October 31: sweat bullets until results are released.

rhesusman

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2008, 12:34:02 PM »
Many multiple choice questions will have at least 2 (two) correct answers. Any one of these two will usually do. Some professors will change the answers to certain multiple-choice questions on their final AFTER it has been given to students -- this way the "correct people" will have scored higher overall than the "incorrect" ones.

If you're talking about the bar exam, this is certainly NOT the case.  The MBE, which is the multiple choice portion of the bar exam in most states, including Georgia, may have one or two questions where more than one answer is credited, but that's against 198 questions which only have one correct answer.

Georgia might be one of those jurisdictions that only grades your essays if you're within a certain score range on the MBE.  The thinking is that people who score below a certain amount almost certainly won't score high enough on the essays to pass and that people who score above a certain amount almost certainly scored high enough on the essays, so there's no point in grading them.

Modus Barbara

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »
But of course, rhesus, this individual looks like someone who's been passed over, one who's feeling sour because he did not make the Dean's List or something, because he was not credited for 1-2 more multiple choice questions... lol
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Katerini

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2008, 07:33:37 PM »

The thing is that there are no official answers for Bar exam questions. The questions are concocted in the minds of professors and other non-practicing individuals. The official answers, or "checklists," are derived by taking a random sampling from all answers on the exam. The Bar then uses a series of meetings to use mathematical models to formulate an ESTIMATE what the best answers should be. These meetings are called CALLIBRATION SESSIONS. It is this calibration that the Committee uses to control the answers of the exam.

That's intriguing, could you expand a bit further?