Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bar Exam Structure.....  (Read 11102 times)

cbethun1

• View Profile
    • Email
Bar Exam Structure.....
« on: December 07, 2004, 08:15:12 PM »
How is the Bar Exam(Particularly interested in the Georgia Bar) set up.  Is it Multiple choice? Essay?

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bar Exam Structure.....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 09:16:39 PM »
Go to http://www.barbri.com, choose your state (Georgia) and on that page (right hand side) scroll down and it will give a place to click for Bar Exam Format. That will give you the information you are looking for.

Basically, it is multiple choice, essay, and a performance test.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 11:50:52 PM »
Many multiple choice questions will have at least 2 (two) correct answers. Any one of these two will usually do. Some professors will change the answers to certain multiple-choice questions on their final AFTER it has been given to students -- this way the "correct people" will have scored higher overall than the "incorrect" ones.

yanno

Patent Bar Exam
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 07:10:26 PM »
I took the PTO exam -- it was the epitome of the proverbial hoop that has to be jumped through. Most of the questions are poorly written and have little to do with practice. Indeed, when I took the Kayton course to prepare, Mr. Kayton said there was one exam where 28% of the questions were flawed in that there was either two correct answers, three correct answers or no correct answers. Well, in an open book exam with time constraints, its pretty disconcerning to try to pick the right answer when there is actually two or three right answers.

newmommie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 11:30:23 PM »
Hmmm!

sinita

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 05:11:24 PM »
This is indeed something I had never thought of!

in rem

• View Profile
Re: Patent Bar Exam
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 05:35:30 PM »
I took the PTO exam -- it was the epitome of the proverbial hoop that has to be jumped through. Most of the questions are poorly written and have little to do with practice. Indeed, when I took the Kayton course to prepare, Mr. Kayton said there was one exam where 28% of the questions were flawed in that there was either two correct answers, three correct answers or no correct answers. Well, in an open book exam with time constraints, its pretty disconcerning to try to pick the right answer when there is actually two or three right answers.

I can see law professors as doing it (a dirty thing to do on their part!), but I can't imagine how bar exams could be created on purpose that way!

fab

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 09:05:33 PM »
Oh yeah, in rem?!

ela

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 06:34:16 PM »
The thing is that there are no official answers for Bar exam questions. The questions are concocted in the minds of professors and other non-practicing individuals. The official answers, or "checklists," are derived by taking a random sampling from all answers on the exam. The Bar then uses a series of meetings to use mathematical models to formulate an ESTIMATE what the best answers should be. These meetings are called CALLIBRATION SESSIONS. It is this calibration that the Committee uses to control the answers of the exam.

yara

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 05:47:21 AM »
well well well pieces are coming together i guess
Volker, hoert die Signale!
Auf, zum letzten Gefecht!