Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top 25% entering LSAT = Top 25% 1L grades?  (Read 827 times)

jrs98

• View Profile
Top 25% entering LSAT = Top 25% 1L grades?
« on: December 07, 2004, 12:04:24 PM »
I am just wondering what your thoughts are on this. Do the top 25% entering LSAT people typically make the top 25% in 1l grades? Or do they sometimes end up in the middle of the pack, or do median entering LSAT people end up in the top quarter of the class? I am sure that it varies from school to school but just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this topic.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Re: Top 25% entering LSAT = Top 25% 1L grades?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 03:17:36 PM »
I asked my professors (one graduated from USC, one from Penn, and one from Standford) this question and a few others, and they pretty much said the same thing. 

They said:
1)  the LSAT does not correlate with the school grades as much, but more with the bar exam success.
2)  the smartest people in law school (if you are saying that the smartest people are the high LSAT people) are not the ones that get the best grades. The ones that get the best grades are the ones that can organize and get their thoughts on paper the fastest.  Of course, if you got a high LSAT score and you can do these also, you will be in the top 25%.

In my first torts quarter exam, many people that got full rides (very high LSATs) ended up in the bottom 15% of our class. It seemed like most people that scored top 15%, above 85% or higher, had middle of the road LSATs. 

Me personally, I got above the 75% LSAT score (but not that high, since I didn't get a full ride), but still got middle of the road, 79% on my first exam.

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 03:38:45 PM »
I asked my professors (one graduated from USC, one from Penn, and one from Standford) this question and a few others, and they pretty much said the same thing. 

They said:
1)  the LSAT does not correlate with the school grades as much, but more with the bar exam success.
2)  the smartest people in law school (if you are saying that the smartest people are the high LSAT people) are not the ones that get the best grades. The ones that get the best grades are the ones that can organize and get their thoughts on paper the fastest.  Of course, if you got a high LSAT score and you can do these also, you will be in the top 25%.

In my first torts quarter exam, many people that got full rides (very high LSATs) ended up in the bottom 15% of our class. It seemed like most people that scored top 15%, above 85% or higher, had middle of the road LSATs. 

Me personally, I got above the 75% LSAT score (but not that high, since I didn't get a full ride), but still got middle of the road, 79% on my first exam.

I agree ZEMOG.

However, my TORTS prof is such a peach.  Why?  b/c the majority of our exam is multiple choice (only 1, maybe 2 essays) and she said that she wrote the mult choice questions in a way that most people will fall into 6 or 7 of her traps -- she expects us to get 6-7 wrong!  I wonder how many there are!!!!  She said that when she takes her own exam she falls into 2 of the traps and misses two of her own questions!  she also said that she likes to grade our mult choice responses and compare them to our LSAT score b/c she has a spreadsheet set up where she already knows whether you will get the question right based on your LSAT score.  I swear...why do some profs do this to us?!??!!?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »
LSAT scores indicate how well you take the LSAT.

Law school exams measure how well you do on law school exams.

They indicate nothing beyond that.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 06:42:14 PM »
The LSAT is a festering TTT in decline, or so a Cooley will tell you.

HTFH LFs