Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Errors" in Exam Questions  (Read 696 times)

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
"Errors" in Exam Questions
« on: December 06, 2004, 12:29:28 PM »
My K prof handed out a series of practice questions for his exam.  One of the questions contained a possible error that did not render the question inanswerable but completely changed the rationale.  He say's that it was an "obvious" error, and that I should have indicated as much in my answer.

Damn.  While I think he's wrong, he's the prof, so as the kids say nowadays, "Whevs."

Have any of your professors indicated what you should do if you encounter an error, be it possible or obvious?
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: "Errors" in Exam Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 12:49:50 PM »
I don't know that any of my profs would admit to errors.

What can you do, really, but answer the question as written? The big thing we keep being told is "use the facts; don't add or change anything." I think that's my basic rule of thumb.

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 03:26:52 PM »
My K prof handed out a series of practice questions for his exam.  One of the questions contained a possible error that did not render the question inanswerable but completely changed the rationale.  He say's that it was an "obvious" error, and that I should have indicated as much in my answer.

d**mn.  While I think he's wrong, he's the prof, so as the kids say nowadays, "Whevs."

Have any of your professors indicated what you should do if you encounter an error, be it possible or obvious?

I honestly think that your prof was lying.  Most prof don't put errors in their exams.  All of my profs say that if, and they stressed IF you think there is an error, bring it up.  I bet your prof was embarrassed that you found an error so he made that reply.  If I were you, I wouldn't worry about finding errors on your exam along with issue spotting and analysis...that's just ridiculous.

kristin1644

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 07:57:34 PM »
If you find an error, definitely bring it up.  The professor doesn't want 300 wrong answers on his exam because there was something he could have cleared up.  My profs have all said that if we find an error, ask them about it.