Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal Writing Curriculum  (Read 851 times)

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
Legal Writing Curriculum
« on: December 03, 2004, 10:07:49 PM »
Just surveying what folks had to do for Legal Writing.
We had 2 office memos and a bluebook exam along with some 20 point citation exercises.
We will do an appellate brief before the end of semester (February).
This seems a bit more than most......
Did anyone detest this class as much as I do? >:(

any comments?
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Writing Curriculum
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 10:12:29 PM »
I detest my class a lot. We get letter grades...I've heard some places LW is just p/f. Not for us. No exam, though.

We had two memos and a major rewrite on each. (One closed-universe, one open). We had a few minor citator and such exercises. We had a fairly major statutory research exercise; a nice thing about that was we could do parts of it in groups.

Next semester we'll use the statutory research to do a trial brief, and then do an appellate brief. Not sure what else, other than moot court.

Duner

• MSN Messenger - jkorduner@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LSUConnMan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jkorduner
    • View Profile
    • Duner's LSU Law Blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 10:21:58 PM »
we had a state memo and a federal memo. not sure what's next semester, but i'll probably be asking people if they want fries with their big mac.

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 11:09:51 PM »
We had a closed memo, a rewrite of the closed memo, an open memo, several non-graded library research exercises, a non-graded client letter, and a 50 question research exam.  Next semester I hear we have to do a motion for summary judgment, another motion, and an oral argument before judges/prof/alumni/class on the summary judgment motion.  I didn't mind the actual work so much, but it really took a lot of time away from outlining, other classwork, etc.  I don't agree with the due dates because we had an open memo due the day before Thanksgiving and I couldn't at that time devote my time to outlining and final prep because of that.  I don't understand why our final is this oral argument in the spring because it is legal "writing" not a legal advocacy class.  Anyone else have this requirement and know why it is considered to be part of the legal writing class?

kristin1644

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 11:12:38 AM »
We're on quarters, so we have a different structure for LARC.  Last quarter we had 2 memos and 2 rewrites, both closed.  This quarter we have two citation assignments each week, another memo, open, and a final exam.  Next quarter we also have to write an appellate brief for moot court. 

I think the oral argument is part of the writing class, because we actually have to prepare the brief and then use it.  I think its to show us why its important to do good research and to write effectively--because legal writing isn't isolated--its more of a step in the whole process.  But hey, I don't really know what I'm talking about--this is nothing more than a guess  :)

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 10:07:57 PM »
Did anybody have a timed citation exam? Were the memos graded before drafts were critiqued?
 :P I'm glad to know others despise it as much as I. My main gripe is with the prof......

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 11:00:24 PM »
We didn't have to do citation on our research exam.  It was based on research skills - knowing what books to look in to find certain things, what the features are of certain sources, etc...It was timed, 50 questions in one hour.  It only involved getting up twice to actually go research using the books, but the prof. made it seem as if the entire test was going to involve actual research in that small time frame so it was stressful studying for it and many of us were actually overprepared.  The first memo was graded and then we met with the prof. who answered questions and gave suggestions and then we did the rewrite. 

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 10:22:26 AM »
I dislike this class, too.  I want to be somewhere else when it's time for this class.  Unlike all my other LS classes.

i hate this class with a f**cking passion.  closed memo and open memo for us.  GRADED, not P/F (love the fact that our school is trying to use that a selling point)
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 09:58:20 PM »
ok, good to hear everyone's comments. I know most of my hate of the class is prof-driven, but was wondering about others' curricula.....(is curricula a word) I'm so fried.....
 ::)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 10:23:48 PM »
Curricula is a word...but you'd probably use the singular, curriculum, since each respondant only has one.

(This is why legal writing annoys me...I am a geek...and I still don't get it.)