Law School Discussion

true that you can't use Macs for exams? can you suggest a laptop?

elo

Re: true that you can't use Macs for exams? can you suggest a laptop?
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 12:19:05 AM »
Yes, check the requirements at your particular school. Many schools are becoming more receptive to letting students simply type their exams in a word processor. Usually, this is accompanied by some type of honor-code pledge.

For schools that use specialized exam software, there are two varities. ExamSoft is Windows-only. Electronic Blue Book is Windows or Mac.

I agree that Macs are wonderful laptops. Even if your school says no, they need to know that this is something people want.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 07:37:06 PM »
I have 2 Macs at home and was concerned about their compatability with law school. However, Microsoft Virtual PC allows Macs to run window based programs. I suspect that you will be able to take the exams with no problem while running the Virtual PC software on a Mac. I currently run all of my windows based software (Storelaw, Cite It, etc..) on my Mac laptop.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 02:21:00 AM »
If you read my earlier post you'll see that this is typically not the case. Because of the way emulators work and the way the exam software works, the software gives you access to more resources from a Mac than a PC user would have. So, at least with ExamSoft, no Macs allowed.

elo

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 05:58:52 PM »
Clicquot, the entire point of exam software is to lock you out of the rest of your computer. Allowing such software to be used in an emulated environment would defeat this; you could simply click out of the Windows environment in Virtual PC and be right back in your Mac. Thus, the very first thing that these programs do is to check for emulation (Virtual PC is available for PCs also). If you're in Virtual PC, then the programs won't run. So if your school says that their exam software is not Mac-compatible, they mean it.

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 09:07:13 PM »
Check with the school you get accepted to before you buy.

My school does not allow any laptops for exams. period.  True "Stone-Age" Doctrine.

same here.

Wow, that sucks.  It was so much easier taking exams on my laptop, especially in terms of cutting and pasting.  The constant click-clacking of the keys can be quite annoying and nerve racking, which is why I just used earplugs.

Okay, back to the original question.  No, you cannot use ExamSoft with Macs, but like the previous poster said, check with the school you plan on attending.  I would suggest that you update your Compaq and just keep that for exams.  That way you can register Examsoft on the Compaq and just use the Mac for note-taking and the like.  You could also buy the Mac and then rent a computer for exams, but some schools require you to register on the computer a month before the exam period.

Okay, that's all, back to studying.

duma

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 12:11:29 PM »
Check with the school you get accepted to before you buy.

My school does not allow any laptops for exams. period.  True "Stone-Age" Doctrine.

same here.

Wow, that sucks.  It was so much easier taking exams on my laptop, especially in terms of cutting and pasting.  The constant click-clacking of the keys can be quite annoying and nerve racking, which is why I just used earplugs.

I had my first exam using "secure exam" on friday. It was very nice. I had typed out a bit of an answer, and then realized that it sounded better after making another arguement first. I just cut and pasted it where I wanted, and then fixed a few lines to make it appear that is where I had always intended to put it.
The clicking of the keys wasn't bad either. I considered ear plugs, but I didn't have any. I was just going to use my head set (not plugged in and using permission) to decrease the typing sounds. However, once I got moving in the exam, I didn't hear anything.
The one negative thing that I found, I was so hyped to take the exam that I wasn't paying much attention to how I was typing. There isn't auto-correct, so I had allot of "htah" instead of "that." I didn't go and correct any of it because that would have wasted time, and I am thinking that the prof will be able to figure out what the word is.

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2005, 07:25:34 PM »
Or... Get your mac (as I'll be doing) and use and old windows laptop for exams. I fyou've got one great, if not, you can usually purchase a decent little thinkpad for a hundred or so online. I can't imagine you'll need anything cutting-edge for taking exams on a computer.

I have an older IBM 600E that works great still, but with the limited hard drive, etc. I'll keep it around for exams mostly.

my 2 yen.

cheers

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2005, 06:35:54 AM »
Definitely contact the school you plan to attend.  My school uses Secureexam, which is compatible with Macs.  That made my day...Now I just have to figure out which Mac to buy!

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2005, 08:09:41 AM »
My school doesn't use any sort of locking software (just honor code) and maybe 3 people out of 60 will handwrite an exam.  You can use Mac's to type your exam as long as you have Microsoft Word on it.