Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: :) My first acceptance letter! Now tell me- what's a typical day like?  (Read 1727 times)

Jessikally

• View Profile
tell me about your first week of law school, etc. Thanks!

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: :) My first acceptance letter! Now tell me- what's a typical day like?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 12:09:45 AM »
Hmm..I don't think I remember that far back anymore.

Let's see...start doing a lot of reading. Don't ever stop until the semester is over.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 11:29:25 AM »
I am sure if you look around you will see discussion from most of us on our first day. That would give you a perspective that hasn't been cluttered by what we know now... or have forgotten since.

BTW, CONGRATS!

My advice:
1. Start reading books about law school
2. Start making your time worthless for a while.... because in Aug, it will be priceless.
3. Tell everyone you know that come Aug they will not see very much of you. Spend time with them now.

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 02:56:45 PM »
I'm afraid to tell you b/c you might not go anymore... :-X

But honestly slacker and duma hit it right on.  Your first week of law school will be like nothing you experienced in undergrad.  You will come into class with assignments due on the first day.  Do NOT come to class on the first day expecting it to be a lecture, or an intro to law speech or whatever.  You will be thrown into day 1.  The professor will be asking YOU questions and you will be giving the answers, in some cases, for the entire class period.  And it stays like that for the whole semester, so any given day that you walk into class, you could be "teaching" the entire class what you understand about the day's material.

typical days for me are to get up 2 hours before class starts and review/prepare for the class, go to class from say, 10 to 5 roughly, then I'm in the law library from 5 to midnight, go home and do it all over again in the morning.  Now that finals are here its a whole other story...
Burning Sands

law543

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 03:25:25 PM »

My advice:
2. Start making your time worthless for a while.... because in Aug, it will be priceless.
3. Tell everyone you know that come Aug they will not see very much of you. Spend time with them now.

I would only disagree about the books about law school. I found all of them to be pretty much worthless...save one or two. I would stick with one good book...a good overview of what to expect. I enjoyed Law 101. I'm sure there are better ones, however. Besides, your #2 advice seems to contradict #1, but I'm just being argumentative. ;)

I think a good book on how to approach reading...briefing...and the socratic method...is a good approach. Stay away from "scare tactic" books...and those that claim to be your end-all-be-all answer to how to ace law school.

I do agree with the advice about #3 and the reading advice everyone is giving. The poster should just resolve him/herself to the fact that reading will be big part of his/her life and also the advice about it being nothing like undergrad.

Law543

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 04:15:00 PM »
Yeah pretty much.

Another note on law school preparation...

there are a few little things that you can do in your summer before law school, such as glancing over a few Examples & Explanations for the BASIC concepts. (notice I said basic, we'll come back to this in a minute). and you can also start to get familiar with a few of the terms of art.  it will help you when you get to law school to be able to know what a plaintiff is and what a defendant is, but don't even waste your time trying to learn what proximate cause means. That's not one of the basics.

Law school is a process.  Thats why its different from college.  College you can study, put the books down and be uneffected by anything you have just "learned".  Law school, very different. The lessons are beat into you until they become 2nd nature.  You can't get that from reading a "how to" book. Much like the Matrix, no one can be told what law school is, you have to experience it for yourself...

So, during your summer before law school, if you are ever presented with the option of  reading some "How To" law school books, or going out to a concert with friends, you better see about that concert.
Burning Sands

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 05:55:32 PM »
And speaking of reading...if you have advance assignments before your first class...make sure you do them. The first person cold-called in my crim class had quite obviously not read the case. I felt bad for her, even though the Prof. isn't evil about folks who aren't prepped.

And, as someone else said...Congrats!

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 11:59:37 PM »

My advice:

I would only disagree about the books about law school. I found all of them to be pretty much worthless...save one or two. I would stick with one good book...a good overview of what to expect. I enjoyed Law 101. I'm sure there are better ones, however. Besides, your #2 advice seems to contradict #1, but I'm just being argumentative. ;)

I hate you.  ;D

You are right. I should say that IMO you should read about one... maybe two... books about law school. You would do well to read it closer to the the start of class, and not spend much time reading them.

Better?

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 05:16:25 AM »
Ok Jessi...the first thing you need to do is:

BUY ONE OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING BOOKS THAT I NO LONGER NEED AND WANT TO SELL:

Planet Law School II
Law School Confidential
1L

Hurry! or others will be you to it! and they'll be way ahead of the game...you will entering law school crawling behind them, trying to keep up, just wishing you had listened to me....
Do this NOW!

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 10:23:19 AM »
If you get Planet Law School II, don't let the negative tone take you down.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +