Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: transferring from a tier 4 to tier 4  (Read 723 times)

1LinFLA

• View Profile
transferring from a tier 4 to tier 4
« on: December 01, 2004, 04:39:36 PM »
Howdy,

I am currently in my first year at a Florida law school.  My mother has recently been diagnosed with cancer and I am looking to transfer because the docs gave her 2 years to live.  I am in a tier four school and want to get back to Texas in a tier 4.  A higher tier would be nice, but I just need to get back home.  Any advice, personal transfer info from transfer students out there would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

jurisdoctor2007

dgatl

Re: transferring from a tier 4 to tier 4
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 11:30:23 PM »
i am sorry to hear about your mother's situation.

regarding transferring, you will need to be competitively ranked in comparison to your classmates - the higher the tier, the higher the rank.  from a T4, i would say top 3% for a transfer to a T1 school, top 10% for a transfer to a T2, top 20% for a T3, and top 1/3 for a T4?  that is just based upon what I have heard.

good luck. 

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 11:44:55 PM »
I agree with dgatl.  I had a several friends that transferred, one from a 4th tier to a 1st tier, and he was ranked #4 out of his class.  The ones that went from 4th tier to 3rd and 4th tier to 4th, were ranked around 25%.

Even if you are not ranked that high, you might as well try.  They might be sympathetic to your situation and you'll never know unless you apply.  The worse case scenario is you lose $50 or so dollars when applying.

Good luck with your mother and transferring.

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 05:20:13 AM »
tell them that you were initially interested in applying to their school, as you have been thoroughly impressed with the programs they have to offer....blah blah blah....
but you decided to go elsewhere b/c you wanted to get out of the area where you had already lived...and just wanted to explore new territory...
and now you have a reason to return to that area, and feel that they could not only offer you the opportunity to experience the great things they have to offer, but they can also make it possible for you to pursue your dream while being at your mother's side...and that you will prove to them that you have great things to offer to their school and environment...blah blah blah....