Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: *warning: This is just a complaint (whining)  (Read 1109 times)

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
*warning: This is just a complaint (whining)
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:31:03 AM »
If you ignored the warning, I don't want to read you complain about what I am saying. Consider this the second warning.

Now, AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAAHHHHA!

Damn... so finals are coming. I have that pressure, and now I find out just how extensive one of my exams is going to be. I was gambling for the use of an outline during the exam, but now our prof said, "no." I guess now I must know the matterial better than I had thought I would have to.

Second on the complaint list, is winter break. I thought I would have a nice 3 weeks off. I could work, play, and go out with my wife. That has all been taken away from me. My dog (my avatar), needs surgery on her other hip. She has hip dysplasia that needs to be fixed. We had the one leg operated on about 8 months ago. The first few weeks are hard. Now the other leg is messed up, so we have to have surgery on that one during my winter break.

I was ok with that, because I want to see my dog better, and after all, I would still have 3 weeks of no school work. Last night, I found out that our writing class expects us to have all of our research done for the next assignment before we come back from winter break. Bastards. Now I have to try to fit rehab my dog, work, spend time with my wife, and research for school, all in to three weeks.

I got so frustrated last night that I stopped studying K. I thought, "to hell with all of this... why am I doing this to myself?" Today, I am just frustrated with all the work, lack of time, and the thought that this is still just the beginning.  :(

Someone play the tiny violin for me... I could use the soft music.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: *warning: This is just a complaint (whining)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 01:38:40 PM »
You've earned a whine or two.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 10:28:29 PM »
We're all in the same boat, if it helps any.....
I think 90% of us feel that way, some of us more often than not.
At my school we get 5 days of holiday break, and no spring break.
I've got two young children and a Torts midterm (the weedeater) on December 23rd.
Law school sucks, but what else are you gonna do with your life?
Hang in there. At least you won't have classes for 3 weeks.
And good luck with your dog.  :)
You'll make it.
What tune would you like to hear? The "Cold Mountain" soundtrack is pretty mournful.....
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 11:08:46 PM »
You've earned a right to be frustrated. Take a day and allow yourself to do whatever you need to do to calm down: give yourself one day of freedom. And then, tackle each problem separately. Don't lump it all together. Just focus on one thing at a time. You will get through it.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 02:39:33 AM »
Ah... thanks everyone!

I have just learned to accept it. As dicta said, "what else am I going to do with my life?" It is the way it is... and I can't change that.

And as LawGirl said, I am looking at it one step at a time. I know that I have to take care of finals, then the dog, and then research. I will take two weeks to try and do some rehab with her, and than get some research done while she sleeps. I just had to plan all of this out.

I think I made my wife worry the same day I posted this. I told her she would have to remind me why I am doing this to myself. She still had the look of concern even after I started to feel better. It was just too much to take in on day I guess.

Anyway, thanks for allowing me to vent.... and I would like to hear Canon in D. I know... wedding song, but I love that violin.

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 10:17:24 AM »
Glad you are feeling better. If we didn't feel overwhelmed most of the time then law school would not have its reputation, right?
Have you read "1L" by Scott Turow? It's a diary of his days at HLS.
A great read when you just can't read any more school stuff.
Most of our problems and feelings have been around since at least 1977 (when he was a 1L).
It's great to read someone else's perspective!
 :)
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 11:19:12 AM »
I haven't the time to read anything for fun....  >:(

I actually plan to read a few things on my three weeks off. Perhaps I will add that one to the list.

holymoly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 04:08:39 PM »
That's funny--we feel ya

also, here's a HILARIOUS blog that I found from a law student in the midwest
it looks like she is just commenting on everall law school experience as well as about the small town her school is in

pretty funny: check it out

www.enemykombatant.blogspot.c om

it says she's from seattle but goes to school in Iowa

holymoly

• View Profile

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »
Whine, whine whine.  Okay, I'm glad you got that off your chest.  Just don't go out and hurt anybody. 
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!