Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ok to go to 3rd tier if I don't want big law? help!  (Read 905 times)

Jessikally

• View Profile
ok to go to 3rd tier if I don't want big law? help!
« on: November 29, 2004, 08:01:41 PM »
I'm thinking about some schools in the midwest, where I'm from and where I  plan to settle down. LSAT is 163, UGPA is 3.25, graduated a year early, worked 30 hours a week, etc. I don't want a job at a big firm- I'd love to work as an ADA or something for a few years, then move into a small firm for health care law (my major is health care admin). So, I'm weighing some private or out-of-state schools that would put me in quite a bit of debt, U of Illinois (my alma mater, which I am HOPING i will get into, but not entirely optimistic) or Northern Illinois University, which isn't a great school, but has a huge alumni connection where I'm from and plan to work- I'd say about 65% of the lawyers in my area are NIU graduates, and are very rarely from out of state, etc. Plus, I would think I would get scholarships there. So, would it help to go out of state to a bit of a better school, or just go to a reigional, cheap school?

dgatl

Re: ok to go to 3rd tier if I don't want big law? help!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 10:54:59 PM »
hey J - i got into U of I with similar stats (w/ measly scholarship for $3500/yr) so I think you have a shot there...

in regards to your question, it is ok to go to a T3 school.  However, even for those ADA jobs you are talking about, a certain amount of rank matters.  With your stats I think a T1 school is in your reach.  I got into 6 T1 schools with a 3.13 (LSAC gpa) and 164, though my GPA may have been given a boost for my engineering background.  I think you should shoot for T1 school, because though you will have debt, there will be more doors open to you.  Just because a school is T3 doesn't mean it is cheap.  Though I have the luxury of attending one of the most expensive schools in the nation, many private T3 schools charge in the mid 20s for tuition, andd even public universities charge that much for out of state.  I am only paying $7k extra a year where I am at versus Iowa, where I also got accepted.  I am paying the extra because Iowa/Midwest is not where I want to live and because Iowa and my school were ranked similarly these past few years.

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 02:20:29 AM »
So, would it help to go out of state to a bit of a better school, or just go to a reigional, cheap school?

Yes.

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 01:27:31 PM »
I got into 6 T1 schools with a 3.13 (LSAC gpa) and 164, though my GPA may have been given a boost for my engineering background. 

Dgatl, can I ask which T1's you got into?  My stats are identical (although no engineering major, but mitigating circumstances addendum and being 10 years post-UG should help with that.)  Anyway - just curious where you got in - thanks in advance! :)
Attending: W&M

dgatl

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 11:03:42 AM »
I got into 6 T1 schools with a 3.13 (LSAC gpa) and 164, though my GPA may have been given a boost for my engineering background. 

Dgatl, can I ask which T1's you got into?  My stats are identical (although no engineering major, but mitigating circumstances addendum and being 10 years post-UG should help with that.)  Anyway - just curious where you got in - thanks in advance! :)

check your PM in a few mintues

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 12:02:22 PM »

check your PM in a few mintues

Thanks for the info - that's encouraging!
Attending: W&M