Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Soooo frustrated with contracts studying  (Read 3118 times)

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Soooo frustrated with contracts studying
« on: November 29, 2004, 02:32:40 PM »
I think I just suck at contracts.  I finished my outline and pretty much memorized everything but when I try to take practice exams, I suck the big one.  For some reason, I can't spot all the issues.  After taking the practice exam, I look at the sample answer, and I'm like, "Oh yea" but during the exams, I just can't do it. 

I'm soooo frustrated because I'm actually caught up and have been looking at practice exams and using some supplements. 

Oh well, maybe i'm just not good at contracts :( 

Anyone have any advice or anyone in the same situation with another class, if not contracts????

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Soooo frustrated with contracts studying
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 02:52:11 PM »
Do you have trouble spotting issues in other classes?
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 02:58:44 PM »
Nope.  I took a torts exam a month ago and got all the issues but had some formatting and time related issues so I scored right in the middle of the pack. 

The formatting and time issues are fine with me, because I know how to improve them, but the spotting issues thing is kind of bothering me a bit. 

Do you have trouble spotting issues in other classes?

Dean Prosser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 03:04:03 PM »
I agree with you completely!  Practice exams remind me of studying for the LSAT, once you look at the answer, it's an automatic "Duh!  That's easy!"  However, I think law exams are so much better because you have more flexibility, as long as you are analytical and methodical.  In fact, they are a bit fun as we get to be the Judge.  

For contracts, I am going to just move down like this:

Decide if an offer has been made and where (UCC, Restatement, common law to Facts) --->  Determine whether offer is irrevocable --->  Was the offer accepted (UCC, Restatement, Common law to Facts) --->  If so, what are the terms (UCC, Restatement, Common Law to Facts)...  The same for Consideration, P.E., et al.

There is so much information, so many rules, that you just have to take it one at a time and not get overwhelmed.

Perhaps you have a better method.  My problem right now is not with the material or rules, it's with the organization and making it a "nice" looking, lawyer-like answer.  Also, I have noticed my number one mistake is not reading in-between the lines, the minute facts that is, such as the date, or the jurisdiction, the exact wording in a statute... however, I feel that if you know your weaknesses, you will watch out for them on the exam.  Thus, it's such a positive to reveal your weaknesses and be frustrated by them, that way you can correct them.  

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 02:21:50 AM »
offer
acceptance

HTH

freshstart

• LSAT: 156, UGPA: 4.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 09:47:59 AM »
I feel your pain in contracts.  My final is tomorrow, and although my black letter practice essays have been okay (some better than others), yesterday the prof had a review session and explained more of what he is looking for.  Unfortunately, it is not black letter, but arguments pretty strictly based on the 43 cases we read.  Now, I read my cases and understand them, but I was not prepared to do the in depth analysis he is describing (ex. although x case involves a contractor and is opposite the majority opinion case, a court would use x case in a non-contracting situation (our hypo) because....)  Oh well, I 'll just do the best I can.  It is my first final, and I'll be glad when it is over!

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 07:13:39 PM »
Contracts is the most difficult for me.......I'm with you zemog.
It's just too nebulous!
 >:(
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 08:04:47 PM »
Don't worry about it.

The worst that can happen is you will fail the course and flunk out of law school and have no legal career whatsoever.

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 10:24:36 PM »
oooooh you're such a stinker....... :-*
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 11:32:37 PM »
Yes I am awesome.