Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Torts Quiz  (Read 35898 times)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Torts Quiz
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2005, 11:50:32 AM »
Here's one from real life.  Someone on TBA-Link sent this.  So, what if a kid blindly walks into the pond and drowns?

I have a client who is developing a rather large subdivision (back from the days when I did real estate stuff - no more).  One phase involves a number of lots surrounding a large pond.  The lots technically go out to the center of the pond where they all meet so that eventually, when all the lots are sold, the homeowners will own their own portion of the pond, presumably with easements over the other portions for purposes of fishing, etc.  Until all the lots are sold, my client still owns the unsold lots.  Some of the sold lots have children living there.

Question:  He has tried to get general liability insurance to cover himself should any of these children blindly walk in to the pond while the parents are drunk on the couch and drown.  He cannot find any insurance companies to insure him for any substantial amount.

Do any of you dirt lawyers know of any insurance companies he might try?  Thanks.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2005, 11:54:40 AM »
yes, that's part of it. If a statute dictates a standard of care and you violate it then you are "negligent per se".
HOWEVER!
The injury must be the type of injury the statute was designed to prevent:
violating speeding ordinance and causing accident. driving without license and causing an accident is NOT neligent per se.
The plaintiff must be in the class of person that the statue was designed to protect:
speeding violation that results in crashing into a building, not another car, is NOT neg per se.
and the violation of the statute MUST HAVE CAUSED the injury.
If you are speeding and rear end a car and the person gets out and gets smashed you are not negligent per se......
make sense?
When is someone "negligent per se"?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it is when you break a law in the performance of a tort.
If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other it is the principle of free thought, not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2005, 11:56:25 AM »
I don't know? Trespassing? Attractive nuisance? Playground doctrine?
That's not until the final!  :D
If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other it is the principle of free thought, not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2005, 12:00:43 PM »
hellloooo? I'm waiting?

going out on a limb here.....it doesn't apply........
Yes, but what about captain of the ship?

Vicarious liability:
In Tn, the employer is liable for the employee's negligence solely on the doctrine of
"respondeat superior".

When does captain of the ship doctrine apply in Tennessee?
Oliver Wendell Holmes

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2005, 12:02:37 PM »
I don't know? Trespassing? Attractive nuisance? Playground doctrine?
That's not until the final!  :D

Owner is not liable unless there is a concealed or hidden danger.  That case we read ruled that water by itself is not an unreasonable risk.

But to be safe he should fence it in.

Captain of the ship doctrine is not law in Tennessee anymore.

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2005, 12:07:39 PM »
In TN, when can a plaintiff recover for Negligent Infliction of ED?
Distinguish from other jurisdictions (if possible....)
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2005, 12:08:54 PM »
What are the exceptions to "no duty to aid"
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2005, 12:09:53 PM »
when is a seller liable for injuries from his sale of alcohol?
Oliver Wendell Holmes

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2005, 12:15:03 PM »
when is a seller liable for injuries from his sale of alcohol?

When it is a cause in fact (but for) of the injury and seller had knew or had reason to know injury would occur.

Ooooo.  Look.  I guessed.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2005, 12:18:27 PM »
What are the exceptions to "no duty to aid"

damn.  brain freeze.   

when the duty is assumed.