Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where has all the humor gone?  (Read 5765 times)

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
Where has all the humor gone?
« on: November 29, 2004, 12:21:41 AM »
I've always relied upon my sense of humor to get me through some seriously tough times.
Are all 1Ls humorless? Or am I just not funny?
OK< THAT WAS RHETORICAL,
but seriously, do we laugh as much as we used to? ???
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Where has all the humor gone?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 10:01:36 AM »
We laugh just as much.  It's just that some of it is hysterical or drug induced.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 12:37:40 PM »
mostly anxiety and hysteria for me!  ;)

nslwantabe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:14:19 AM »
Two sagging breasts were talking to one another.  One said to the other one if we don't get some support soon, they are going to think we are nuts.

edythec

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 02:13:10 PM »
A certain little girl, when asked her name, would reply, "I'm Mr. Sugarbrown's daughter."  Her mother told her this was wrong, she must say, "I'm Jane Sugarbrown."  The Vicar spoke to her in Sunday School, and said, "Aren't you Mr. Sugarbrown's daughter?"  She replied, "I thought I was, but mother says I'm not."
"Ever notice that 'What the hell' is always the right decision?" - Marilyn Monroe

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 03:35:18 PM »
So a penquin, a priest and a rabbi go into a bar....

lawgroupie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 04:47:09 PM »
We definitely need more humor--read a portion of this article from today's Wash Post:

Study Is First to Confirm That Stress Speeds Aging

By Rob Stein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, November 30, 2004; Page A01

Scientists have identified the first direct link between stress and aging, a finding that could explain why intense, long-term emotional strain can make people get sick and grow old before their time.

Chronic stress appears to hasten the shriveling of the tips of the bundles of genes inside cells, which shortens their life span and speeds the body's deterioration, according to a small, first-of-its-kind study involving mothers caring for chronically ill children.

If the findings are confirmed, they could provide the first explanation on a cellular level for the well-documented association between psychological stress and increased risk of physical disease, as well as the common perception that unrelenting emotional pressure accelerates the aging process.

"There is this deeply held belief that stress leads to premature aging. But there is no hard evidence for how this might happen," said Elissa Epel, a psychiatrist at the University of California at San Francisco (UCSF), who helped conduct the research. "This is the first time that psychological stress has been linked to a cellular indicator of aging in healthy people."

The findings could lead to new ways to detect the early physical effects of stress and monitor whether attempts to alleviate its effects are working, she said.

While cautioning that the findings need to be confirmed by additional research, other scientists said the results represent an unprecedented step in deciphering the intricacies of the mind-body connection.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 08:25:02 PM »
That's good, but did you read the DOD study that found out coffee keeps you awake?

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 11:12:05 PM »
We definitely need more humor--read a portion of this article from today's Wash Post:

If the findings are confirmed, they could provide the first explanation on a cellular level for the well-documented association between psychological stress and increased risk of physical disease, as well as the common perception that unrelenting emotional pressure accelerates the aging process.

So do we have a case against the profs for IIED AND PREMATURE AGING?  :-*
When do you read the Post????
The other day I picked up a piddly Nashville Scene and my 6 year old daughter says, "Mommy, only Daddies read the newspaper." I thought I was going to have an epileptic fit!  >:(
I just laughed and told her that Daddy was not being mentally challenged in law school like Mommy is!

lawgroupie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 01:15:53 PM »
But the article said you can actually have a test now to see how bad your own aging is, a blood test I think. Cool! then we could have evidence against our profs!