Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Holiday Help  (Read 910 times)

clueless

• View Profile
Holiday Help
« on: November 28, 2004, 02:09:23 PM »
I was wondering if someone might offer some holiday gift idea help.  My big brother will be starting lawschool in the fall and I would like to give him something for Christmas that he can use while he's in school.  I'm asking all you LS students and graduates.... if you were to make a list of MUST HAVES for law school, what would be on that list? Are there any books I can't get him?  An organizer? Palm pilot?  Is there something no law school student should be without?  Please help me.   

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Holiday Help
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 02:12:01 PM »
I use my PalmPilot a lot, and I loved the book "Law School Confidential."  I also know a lot of people who love their iPods.  All good gifts!
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

dgatl

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 03:04:12 PM »
get him Gilberts Law School 1st year package.  it's money well worth it

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 04:26:28 PM »
There are allot of good books out there, that a new law student might like to read. ga_kristi mentioned one of them.... just look around. You could also buy him a nice pack pack to carry his laptop in (if he plans to use one that is).

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 07:57:59 PM »
(These are everything I need and wish I had while in my 1L)

I think what everyone said was a good idea, but here's some more general stuff so he can tailor the gift for what he needs specifically, maybe a starbucks gift certificate (he'll need caffeine and it's a cool place to entertain the hotties in school), an amazon gift certificate (get all the supplements to his case books), maybe a gym membership near his school(he'll need the stress relief and also good place for him to meet non-school hotties).

Some specifics and a lot cheaper than mentioned above, maybe a book stand (so when he reads, he won't get a crink in his neck), a thumb drive (to backup his work), some kind of cool game he can play on his laptop instead of solitare or mind sweeper during class, the flight attendant looking rolling backpack or if he's "cool," a large laptop backpack so he only has carry one bag.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 08:33:36 PM »
Warning:  The following post is self-serving.

There are some funny items at this url

http://www.cafepress.com/demainmercan

Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 12:15:21 AM »
That last post reminded me of a site I know of with some great shirts: 

www.lawschoolstuff.com
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

clueless

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 10:33:53 AM »
Thanks guys!  You're suggestions have been helpfull.  I've got some ideas for Christmas, as well as a few for a cool send off package for when he starts.... kinda like a law school survival kit.  Thanks for all of your help.  You're great!!! 

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season!  :) 

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 02:22:22 AM »
Buy him a gun because after a few weeks in law school he'll want to shoot himself.

HTH

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 01:59:09 PM »
I use my PalmPilot a lot, and I loved the book "Law School Confidential."  I also know a lot of people who love their iPods.  All good gifts!

When I first read that book I too thought that it was great.  In hindsight, it is not.  It basically tells you how to get organized, wow.  And it gives outlining tips but if you actually start outlining that early in the semester (from day 1) you will end up redoing the outline b/c by the time November comes, you'll realize what your outline really needs to be.  And another thing...it had NO info on exam writing.  You can know the information COLD, you can know it forwards and backwards, you can have the best outline, you can say the most profound things in class, but if you don't know how to write the exam, you are SCREWED!

Buy your brother a book on writing law school exams.