Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L's when are you applying for Summer Jobs?  (Read 1798 times)

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1L's when are you applying for Summer Jobs?
« on: November 24, 2004, 04:37:36 PM »
I'm working on my cover letter and resume as we speak since we got a little break for this thanksgiving.  When does everybody plan on looking for summer internships and more importantly, do you think we're going to get paid?  I have often heard that most firms do not provide paid interships for 1L's.  I guess it just depends on where you end up right?
Burning Sands

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1L's when are you applying for Summer Jobs?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 10:17:10 PM »
I'm working on my cover letter and resume as we speak since we got a little break for this thanksgiving.  When does everybody plan on looking for summer internships and more importantly, do you think we're going to get paid?  I have often heard that most firms do not provide paid interships for 1L's.  I guess it just depends on where you end up right?

I'm going to start sending my cover letter and resume to judges during Xmas break.  Then I'll my packet to a few more judges in May.  I want a clerkship this summer.  At my school, for every 60 hours you work you get 1 credit, you can earn 4 credits max.  The catch, you can't earn over $2000 for the summer.

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 04:11:46 PM »

I'm going to start sending my cover letter and resume to judges during Xmas break.  Then I'll my packet to a few more judges in May.  I want a clerkship this summer.  At my school, for every 60 hours you work you get 1 credit, you can earn 4 credits max.  The catch, you can't earn over $2000 for the summer.

oh that's just not fair!  The 2L's make $2000 a week at their internships, how are they gonna try to cap you at 2000 for the entire summer?  We gotta eat too!  1L's...we sure are the bottom of the barrel.
Burning Sands

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 08:14:17 PM »

Uhhh...just read my last post.  My mind sure does move faster than my finger.  Anyway, I'm sending out a second round in Jan, and a final round in Feb.  I know, I know...it sucks.  But if a 1L finds an internship that pays more than $2000, they can take it, they just can't get any externship credit. 

Does you school allow you to earn credits and still get paid?????

oh that's just not fair!  The 2L's make $2000 a week at their internships, how are they gonna try to cap you at 2000 for the entire summer?  We gotta eat too!  1L's...we sure are the bottom of the barrel.

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 11:24:15 PM »
At my school if you do a judicial externship it has to be voluntary (although I haven't heard of a judicial externship that paid) in order for you to get credit.  Then you have to pay for the credits.  So, basically you have to pay to work for free for the summer.  Novel idea, huh?

Nonetheless, I have some good connections with a judge back home, so I'm hoping to get that.  A paying job would be great, but a judicial externship has lots of advantages.  I think it would be worthwhile.

I spent part of Thanksgiving finishing off a database I was making of jobs to apply for.  There are some I'm going to send off resumes for as of December 1st, but the rest require first semester grades, so I'll have to wait until February for that.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 03:27:03 AM »
I'm from Atlanta, but I'm in school in California.  I'm only applying for jobs in GA, SC and FL though.  I really want to work back home for the summer, and would like to transfer back if possible.  California is not my kind of place!  :)

I'll be applying to lots of firms in Atlanta, since that's where I'm from and have connections.  I've already got 2 jobs offers, but they're from firms I used to work for and am not really interested in going back to.  Neither is anything to get all excited about.  I am, however, excited about a possible federal judicial externship I'm applying for.  Despite not getting paid (which sucks), it may be the best opportunity for me.  We'll see, keeping my options open.

What school are you at?  I'm envious...I miss Georgia!
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

bhvexille

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 01:23:20 PM »
As a student at emory, how do you feel about your prospects in NY, DC, and cali in general?

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 02:23:23 AM »
I don't want a job. I'm just going to go to the bar and the beach a lot. Hopefully this diverse experience will help with 2L hiring.

HTH

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 02:02:59 AM »
London kicks ass though.

I went to Egypt for winter break last year. This year I am going nowhere so I will have to drink a lot.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 11:02:09 AM »
I've been to London twice.  I really enjoyed it.  But I didn't go in winter. 
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +