Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is your hardest class?  (Read 1776 times)

joe

• View Profile
What is your hardest class?
« on: November 19, 2004, 09:58:38 PM »
I'm curious to see if we all agree here. What is your hardest class is law school 1L?

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Re: What is your hardest class?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 03:23:55 AM »
Contracts.

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 10:15:10 AM »
What do you think about Torts?

Anybody else?

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 04:01:49 PM »
For me, and most people agree in my class, that torts is easier to understand, because you hear about it always in the news, like battery, assault, negligence.  Everyone kind of has a good idea of what it is.  Also, the elements for torts is pretty straight forward and there's not must leg room for if you satisfy an element for a tort.  For example, battery, you need the 4 elements of volition, intent, causation, and h/o conduct.  If you don't have any of these, you don't have battery. 

Now contrast that with contracts, you are trying to calcalate some kind of damages, let's say expectation damages, and you know the formula to do so, but there may be something which doesn't allow you to award it, like foreseability or certainty.  Or even though a contract looks like it was written correctly, but one party has a boiler plate clause wanting to arbitrate in Florida, and one has one that wants to arbitrate in Los Angeles, the contract can still be deemed valid and enforceable even though logic dictates it shouldn't.

My point is, because of familiarity like you hear about battery in the news all the time, and on shows like law and order, and it's very straight forward with little deviation from a straight forward element definition, torts to me is alot easier. 

What do you think about Torts?

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 04:44:21 PM »
Based on the way they're taught, Torts is my toughest. The Prof. is all over the place, so there's a lot of self-teaching involved.

Based on quantity of information, probably Ks. There, the Prof. has very specific ways he wants answers presented, as well as the plethora of rules to know. Still, the way he teaches it, it's very straightforward. I like it far more than I expected I would.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 09:46:37 PM »
Undisputedly, without a doubt, Evidence.  Once you get to hearsay rules and exceptions, and what is called a catch all exception (which means there is no legal exception, but if you make a good argument, you can still get it in under the hearsay exception rules.  It's a chess game, really with no right or wrong answers.  Tough as hell. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

edythec

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 01:06:27 PM »
I agree with Swifty - Evidence is tough.  But Civil Procedure is not a walk in the park either.
"Ever notice that 'What the hell' is always the right decision?" - Marilyn Monroe

Wild Jack Maverick

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I think I know the formula..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 04:01:54 PM »
This is probably a good place for a question.
Do any of you feel as if  other circumstances, not the subject or material, cause the difficulty of the courses?

For instance:
1) law instructors who are well known for using 'trick' questions, or who grade mostly on grammar and punctuation, or are looking for a 'specific word' in an essay answer;

2) those 'clusters' of personal problems, family problems, financial problems, emergencies, etc, which seem to hit some people at various times;

3) annoying problems such as illnesses, pms, tension headaches or allergies;

4) other students or the teachers are distractions

"I enjoy being in school. I've learned so much already, with taking economics and law, and I have marketing and statistics coming up next."

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 12:28:02 AM »
Property - I hate future interests, rule against perputuities(sp?). ugh - i have nightmares about this stuff.
check the footnotes ya'll