Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone on moot court?  (Read 1803 times)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone on moot court?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 10:58:38 AM »
Tell me about the IT industry.  I'm a mainframe programmer who's hanging on by his fingernails.  I've been looking for a job near school (instead of 100 miles away) for some time now, but things are just not good for programmers in general.

Sounds like you have the best situation for now at least.

Currently, it's just not really a good idea.  I live 5 minutes from my work and to move would put me closer to school but create a bigger hassle for work. I can't leave my work because the IT industry is unstable but if i lose my job or find out for sure i want to pursue law, i will move.

Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 11:50:09 AM »
jeffjoe, this is a small world.  I was actually a consultant as a mainframe programmer until a couple of years ago, I was the youngest one in my shop, at 31 years old.  2 years ago, I switched over to newer technologies like Java and C#, and got my certs to back it up.

I personally think mainframe programming will always exist.  The newer technologies are just not as strong, reliable, or as powerful as a mainframe in regards to sheer crunching power.  And nothing is more realible than a system that's bveen around for over 40 years.  However, I think it will soon be reduced to maintance role as the newer technologies like MQ series start to transport the information over to the front end technologies.  Thus reducing the need for mainframe experts expect for a production support role. 

I think your best bet is to stick to huge established companies and also government entities at a federal, state, and local level.  They are the most likely to have huge mainframe related shops and it's just too expensive to get rid of them. 

They are also the least likely to move their jobs overseas because the government and big companies, like airlines or banking, etc. have too sensitve information to move to foreign companies. 

Tell me about the IT industry.  I'm a mainframe programmer who's hanging on by his fingernails.  I've been looking for a job near school (instead of 100 miles away) for some time now, but things are just not good for programmers in general.

Sounds like you have the best situation for now at least.

Currently, it's just not really a good idea.  I live 5 minutes from my work and to move would put me closer to school but create a bigger hassle for work. I can't leave my work because the IT industry is unstable but if i lose my job or find out for sure i want to pursue law, i will move.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »
I work for a government contractor.  They seem to be slow to dump dinosaurs like me, but I think that is because they get paid by the body.

I've taken some courses on C and Java and such, but can't get my hands on the stuff to put some experience with it. 

Oh, well.  If it holds out four more years, I'll be a rich lawyer by then. 

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 02:03:23 PM »
I thought gov jobs were very stable? 

Because what I've noticed is that the newer technologies have greater turn around and there are many people looking for these jobs.  But the mainframe jobs are not as many but also there aren't many people that know the ins and outs.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 02:18:52 PM »
Jobs with government contractors are pretty stable, but not as stable as civil service jobs.

I thought gov jobs were very stable? 

Because what I've noticed is that the newer technologies have greater turn around and there are many people looking for these jobs.  But the mainframe jobs are not as many but also there aren't many people that know the ins and outs.