Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone on moot court?  (Read 1811 times)

joe

• View Profile
Anyone on moot court?
« on: November 19, 2004, 09:53:04 PM »
Can you tell me what's it's like?

JD_MSA

• View Profile
Re: Anyone on moot court?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 04:46:41 PM »
It's (obviously) a good way to practice oral advocacy skills.  Basically, you are given a "problem" (facts, record, maybe some evidentiary findings, etc.), you write an appellate brief (sometimes in 1L competitions the brief is written for you), and then you give an oral argument in front of a 3-judge panel.  The judges interrupt you to ask questions, and you argue your case as best you can. 

I highly recommend participating in moot court.  Employers will be looking for it on your resume. 

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 10:38:41 PM »
Just adding to JD_MSA, it is one of the things that make you stand out in school from the rest, moot court and law review.  If you can get on it, it is really prestigious. 

Our school has two moot courts, competitive and noncompetitive.  You have a choice in your 2nd semester of your 1L, but you have to do at least the noncompetitive one, but the competitive one is the distinguished one.  You will compete against other schools, etc. 

The description of it is pretty much what JD_MSA said.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 10:41:05 PM »
It's so important our school requires it.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 10:57:46 PM »
Zemog, where do you attend law school?

Just adding to JD_MSA, it is one of the things that make you stand out in school from the rest, moot court and law review.  If you can get on it, it is really prestigious. 

Our school has two moot courts, competitive and noncompetitive.  You have a choice in your 2nd semester of your 1L, but you have to do at least the noncompetitive one, but the competitive one is the distinguished one.  You will compete against other schools, etc. 

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 01:10:45 PM »
A third (fourth) tier toilet, Whittier Law School in Costa Mesa, CA.  I am a part time 1L evening student, working full time during the day. 

Despite what everyone says about 4th tier, I actually like my school, the adminstration, my professors, the only problem I have with it is the location (my commute is 1 hour one way).   

So, that said, I may try to transfer, not using my grades because I am NOT top of my class or anything close, but will try using a "let's feel sorry for him" reason, because of his commute, his job, etc (Don't think it will work but you never know unless you try)   :'( 

Zemog, where do you attend law school?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 01:32:31 PM »
If you're learning the law and feel that you have a good school, ignore the ratings.  They are bogus for the most part, but I suspect you already know that.

A third (fourth) tier toilet, Whittier Law School in Costa Mesa, CA.  I am a part time 1L evening student, working full time during the day. 

Despite what everyone says about 4th tier, I actually like my school, the adminstration, my professors, the only problem I have with it is the location (my commute is 1 hour one way).   

So, that said, I may try to transfer, not using my grades because I am NOT top of my class or anything close, but will try using a "let's feel sorry for him" reason, because of his commute, his job, etc (Don't think it will work but you never know unless you try)   :'( 

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 02:37:06 PM »
May not be as old and wise as you :), but I am older than most of this board, and do realize that rankings are not everything.  My problem is the commute (you can imagine Los Angeles traffic). If my school was closer to my apartment and work up in Los Angeles, transferring would not even enter my mind. 

If you're learning the law and feel that you have a good school, ignore the ratings.  They are bogus for the most part, but I suspect you already know that.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 02:44:35 PM »
Yeah, I can imagine LA traffic.  I've been out there on business a couple times. 

And I know what you mean about the commute.  I'm driving a good amount, too. 

Is moving to a different apartment an option?

May not be as old and wise as you :), but I am older than most of this board, and do realize that rankings are not everything.  My problem is the commute (you can imagine Los Angeles traffic). If my school was closer to my apartment and work up in Los Angeles, transferring would not even enter my mind. 

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 01:56:02 AM »
Currently, it's just not really a good idea.  I live 5 minutes from my work and to move would put me closer to school but create a bigger hassle for work. I can't leave my work because the IT industry is unstable but if i lose my job or find out for sure i want to pursue law, i will move.

Yeah, I can imagine LA traffic.  I've been out there on business a couple times. 

And I know what you mean about the commute.  I'm driving a good amount, too. 

Is moving to a different apartment an option?