Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ?s about studying and financial aid  (Read 325 times)

Jessikally

• View Profile
?s about studying and financial aid
« on: November 18, 2004, 09:43:29 PM »
Two questions for you guys....
1) I have submitted my applications, and am waiting for acceptance or rejection letters. Will acceptance letters come with financial aid or scholarship offers up-front?  These will definitely be helping me make my decision!

2) Can you give me an idea of your study habits/schedule? for those of you with a live-in boyfriend/girlfriend or spouse- is it hard to juggle it all? what's your typical schedule in a week?

kristin1644

• View Profile
Re: ?s about studying and financial aid
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 06:05:50 PM »

Whether or not you get financial aid and scholarship information with your acceptance letters really depends on the school and the time that you apply.  Some schools will send scholarship information with their acceptance letters, some won't.  As far as financial aid, the schools don't know what sort of financial aid you are eligible for until you fill out the FAFSA form, and you can't do that until January.  So the earlier you apply the less likely you are to know what financial aid you will get. 

I know how you feel about this, because I've been there.  One thing I would suggest doing if you don't get a scholarship, because I've heard that some of my classmates did, would be to call the school and ask them about it.  I know 2 students who didn't get a scholarship at all, but after talking to the school ended up getting something (one even got full tuition)--all for just asking. 

I can give you an idea of my study habits, but I don't live with a boyfriend/spouse, so it may be different.  I'm usually at school most of the day (9AM-3:30PM). In between classes I usually look over my briefs for the upcoming class.  After classes are over, I come home and take a short break, then have anywhere from 3-7 hours of homework a night (7 hours is extreme, but I've had that happen a few times). It all really depends on how much the profs assign for the next day and which classes you have.  On the weekends I usually try to read ahead for the next week.  I also outline for a few hours on the weekend.  For about two weeks before finals I do nothing but study, eat and sleep.  It is a lot of work, and you will be engulfed by the law.  Don't get the wrong idea though--there is still ample time to have fun! 

I hope this information helps at least a little.   GOOD LUCK!!