Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Final Exams - Help!  (Read 2241 times)

SLJ0720

• View Profile
Final Exams - Help!
« on: November 14, 2004, 10:38:05 PM »
I need some advice about preparing for finals.  I am so crunched for time with a memo, outlining, and the usual coursework that I don't think I will have time to prepare much, if at all, for finals before the reading period starts.  I think it'll take me the entire Thanksgiving break to finish outlining. Before my first final I have 4 full days to study.  For the remaining three I have 3 to 3 1/2 days between each one.  Is this enough time to prepare? 

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Final Exams - Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 11:08:25 PM »
I need some advice about preparing for finals.  I am so crunched for time with a memo, outlining, and the usual coursework that I don't think I will have time to prepare much, if at all, for finals before the reading period starts.  I think it'll take me the entire Thanksgiving break to finish outlining. Before my first final I have 4 full days to study.  For the remaining three I have 3 to 3 1/2 days between each one.  Is this enough time to prepare? 

First of all...calm down. You will be fine.  You would not be in law school if you weren't smart or couldn't handle the pressure.  What you need to do is skim over the reading this week and bust your ass on your outlines.  My goal is to have all of my outlines up to date by Friday and I'm studying my ass off all Sat - Tues of next week.  YOU WILL BE FINE!

Print out a calendar, write down what you plan to do each day and stick to it!  We will pull through this together!

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 11:25:51 PM »
Thanks 1LWhit.  When do your finals start?  Mine begin Dec. 6.

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 01:29:31 PM »
No problem :)

I have four finals.  12/7, 12/10, 12/14 and 12/17.

Do you guys have secure exams?  We do...it's a computer program that locks you out of all other programs while taking your exam.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 01:54:28 PM »
We have a highly flexible and secure testing system.  Paper and pencil.

No problem :)

I have four finals.  12/7, 12/10, 12/14 and 12/17.

Do you guys have secure exams?  We do...it's a computer program that locks you out of all other programs while taking your exam.

Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 04:23:51 PM »
Yes, we have a similar computer program. 

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 04:39:11 PM »
Yes, we have a similar computer program. 

It doesn't have spellcheck but it has an infinite number of fonts.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 05:53:42 PM »
I think Thanksgiving is a good time to start your outlines.  You can't be expected to be studying that much while still keeping up with the usual class-prep work.  I would do some very broad outlining now and then come back and fill in the details later.

The calender idea is a great one - this is definitly a time for self discipline and focus.

Finally, it's very important that you practice exam taking before the exams.  A huge part of the grade will come down to your ability to express yourself the way the professor wants while under pressure.  Definitly take some practice exams under timed conditions.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 09:21:38 AM »
Pete,

If using your pc wil slow you down, I wouldn't bother. Unless you have bad hand writing, it seems that the blue book offers you more benefits.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 10:20:36 AM »
I type about 40 wpm and I would choose typing over handwriting.

Any thoughts on Blue Book v. ExamSoft?

ExamSoft seems the obvious choice. But with my slow typing skills, correcting typos, and having to continually look down at a fact pattern and outline, I'm grappling with whether I would just be better off writing my exam.

Opinions?

Pete