Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Studying for Final Exams  (Read 1524 times)

dtonsing

• Dennis J. Tonsing
    • View Profile
    • Email
Studying for Final Exams
« on: November 14, 2004, 07:03:47 PM »
About mid-November, first-year law students around the country begin to perspire, wake up in the middle of the night, and generally work themselves into some level of frenzy.  Why?  Their first real honest-to-goodness grade-determining final exams of their law school career are approaching.

When lawyers face significant barriers (oh, say, trials, appellate arguments, etc.), they often do this: plan.  So do successful law students.

How can you create a strategic plan to prepare for your first-ever law school finals?  I published one example of strategic planning on my website today (11-14).  Go the site (see URL below), click on the FAQ button on the left, then click on Final Exam Study Strategy (lower left corner of the FAQ grid). 

Let me know what you think.

Dean of Students
Academic Support Program Director
Roger Williams University School of Law
Bristol, RI
Recent Publication: "1000 Days to the Bar -- But the Practice of Law Begins Now" (Wm. S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2003)

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Studying for Final Exams
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 11:02:59 PM »
About mid-November, first-year law students around the country begin to perspire, wake up in the middle of the night, and generally work themselves into some level of frenzy.  Why?  Their first real honest-to-goodness grade-determining final exams of their law school career are approaching.

When lawyers face significant barriers (oh, say, trials, appellate arguments, etc.), they often do this: plan.  So do successful law students.

How can you create a strategic plan to prepare for your first-ever law school finals?  I published one example of strategic planning on my website today (11-14).  Go the site (see URL below), click on the FAQ button on the left, then click on Final Exam Study Strategy (lower left corner of the FAQ grid). 

Let me know what you think.

I think it's great!  Sounds like everything the successful 2Ls and 3Ls at my school have said.  It's nice to have it all in one document.  I will be printing it out...as long as it's ok with you.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 12:06:47 AM »
I think it's great information. I'll be printing it also.
Thanks.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 12:33:24 AM »
I would like to add a few tips to that...

1. Study right before you go to sleep. Getting thoughts into your mind might make you think things over while asleep.. and added bonus is a dream about it. However, if you are one that can not fall asleep easily, try this at your own risk.

2. Don't stay up and cram the night before. You should have studied days/weeks/months before this night. Instead, one of the best things you can do is relax this day by watchinga funny show. There is a chemical produced by your brain when you laugh. This chemical carries over to the next day and helps to keep you calm. A calm mind works best.

3. Don't sweat it when you enter the classroom. Picture the movie from the night before that made you laugh.You can even think over a relaxing moment you had on the beach... and if you can't do that... think of trees swaying in the wind. Hell, think about anything but how nervious you are.

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 01:08:01 PM »
Very helpful Dean Tonsing.  Do you personally assist via email if we have questions?

dtonsing

• Dennis J. Tonsing
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 08:57:53 PM »

Question: Do I personally assist via e-mail if you have questions? 

Answer: Sure. My own students at Roger Williams, of course, come first ... but if I have time (and I usually do), I will answer questions from e-mailers.  Note: I will be out of e-mail range after the first week of December.  Consider visting my website (www.dennistonsing.com) for answers to many of your "FAQ's."

Dean of Students
Academic Support Program Director
Roger Williams University School of Law
Bristol, RI
Recent Publication: "1000 Days to the Bar -- But the Practice of Law Begins Now" (Wm. S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2003)