Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Playing up the minority card  (Read 2690 times)

dgatl

Re: Playing up the minority card
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 10:49:56 PM »
Most people blow off steam by hanging out with thier friends or getting laid.

I take it your only friends are your right hand and your keyboard. :-*

Even if those were his only friends, those would be two more friends than you will ever have.

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 11:25:58 PM »
1stgen is just mad because he goes to Cooley. I would be mad too. Actually, I would kill myself.

1stgen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 03:19:32 AM »
no on cooley. but you can take your comments and stick them up your "culito".

l8ter.

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 05:22:40 PM »
You're a f-ing idiot. HTH

11,5sep

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 05:18:11 PM »
Even if you make it to actually get in, you're going to have a very hard time to get a good paying job. For example, women, although they represent over half of the law students in school, currently comprise only 15.6% of law firm partners and 13.7% of Fortune 500 general counsels. In New York City, of the 261 firms listed, less than 10 percent of the attorneys currently working are African-American, Hispanic, Asian, American-Indian, disabled, or openly gay.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 07:13:46 PM »
Those stats are not prospective.  They reflect the current amount of women/minorities in the firms, not per se the likihood of being hired. 

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 10:06:51 PM »
On the flip side of that statement, the ONLY way ANY 1L has any chance of getting a summer job at one of the "big three" firms in town is by getting a fellowship open only to minorities. 
Don't Panic

shambala

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 09:58:46 PM »
 LOL

danlauer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 03:56:23 AM »
Those stats are not prospective.  They reflect the current amount of women/minorities in the firms, not per se the likihood of being hired. 

??
To what extent can truth endure incorporation? That is the question; that is the experiment.

Brooklaw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 12:03:27 PM »
I know this is for students but I have a question. Everyone keeps telling me not to worry about my score and gpa because I'm Puerto Rican and came from a very economically disadvantaged neighborhood.

Although California does not practice affirmative action they consider diversity in the admissions process.  I want to be accepted by my merits not my last name.

Are there any minorities who felt they were at an advantage? Even my professor said I should play this up

I am a URM, and there were some schools that i applied to, some, that asked if there were any factors that had to deal with economic disadvantage. I just wrote about my family and my life which included serious eco disad. in bad urban setting, single parent, etc . It was not "playing it up", they asked, so i told them.

I think that you should talk about it to an extent that you still feel comfortable. If you don't want to talk about it at all, then so be it. If you feel that your numbes are good enough to get into the school you want to, then good luck.