Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: first-time applicant seeking advice  (Read 606 times)

silenthedges

• View Profile
    • Email
first-time applicant seeking advice
« on: November 05, 2004, 04:04:50 PM »
Sorry, sorry--just realized that there's a pre-law forum on this site! OOPS!
Two Questions:

1. Does anyone know whether most ABA-approved law schools will accept a February 2005 LSAT score for consideration when reviewing a Fall 2005 application?
2. Presently, I am employed by a mid-sized academic publisher as the Contracts, Royalties, and Sub-rights Manager. I have held this position for three years. Will my work experience carry any weight in the admissions process?

Thanks to anyone who can give me any advice on these questions . . . ;D

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
Re: first-time applicant seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 04:33:11 PM »
I cannot answer (1).

As far as (2) is concerned, if you are able to express your work experience in a straightforward and relevent way in an application, then it will most certainly benefit the profile of your application. As you are probably aware, grades and LSAT scores carry the most weight on an application; however, in an increasingly competitive environment for those seeking admittance to LS, any differentiation that puts you above the masses is a plus.
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 04:26:10 PM »
My school accepted my Feb. LSAT score for a fall admission, but mine is not the norm.  It's non-ABA night school.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 11:01:10 PM »
Mine also accepted my Feb LSAT score.  You are sort of running a gamble, hoping that some applicants are accepted at higher tiered schools so the school you are applying to, has some vacancies toward the end.  But if I were a betting man, I would apply earlier in the app season, like Sept, Oct, or Nov, rather than later, like Jan, Feb, Mar. 

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 11:28:51 PM »
1) Most ABA law schools do not accept the Feb. score.  Usually, the application indicates whether the school does or not.

2) Work experience usually becomes a consideration only if the applicant has been out of school for a significant legth of time.

joshdelight

• AOL Instant Messenger - nipchee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 01:23:45 PM »
2) Work experience usually becomes a consideration only if the applicant has been out of school for a significant legth of time.

Thanks, I needed qualification... plus, one'd have to have to have been out of school to gain any substantial work experience. (Unless, of course, you were a Presidential intern or something cool like that...)
Wouldn't it be grand if our Department of Defense was not offensive?