Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tape recorders  (Read 1350 times)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
Tape recorders
« on: November 04, 2004, 05:45:47 AM »
Tried to find the thread on it, no luck, so sorry if this is a repeat to people.

What are you guys using?  I need a small device quiet enough to not hear in book bag, but sensitive enough to record.  I'm usually no more than 30-45 feet from the prof, and I don't remember which one said not to record.  Screw it, I'm gonna.  Especially because I like the "burn audio to cd" part I read.  Any one?  The best and cheapest of course  ;)
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

edythec

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tape recorders
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 10:20:21 AM »
I've been using a digital Sony ICD-p17 for 2 years now.  I really like it, but it is a little greedy with the batteries.  I always place it on the desk where the podium is at the beginning of class.  I tried recording from my desk (half way back) and the reception wasn't real clear.
"Ever notice that 'What the hell' is always the right decision?" - Marilyn Monroe

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 11:36:41 AM »
I use a leeetle teeny weeny Panasonic digital recorder.  Works very nicely and allows me to pull the digital file on to my PC using a USB connection and then with the included software change it to a wave file.

I don't remember the model number and don't have it with me.

It cost me $69  in August.  And it uses up two AAA batteries after about four weeks.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

edythec

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 02:56:33 PM »
That sounds like the panasonic version of my sony.  but I go through 2 AAA in about 3 weeks.  It's maybe 5 inches by 2.  There is a guy in my class who sits in the front row and uses a very old full size cassete recorder.  One of those that weighs more than my laptop.  I guess you use what you can, but I feel for the guy.
"Ever notice that 'What the hell' is always the right decision?" - Marilyn Monroe

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 04:30:38 PM »
I use a leeetle teeny weeny Panasonic digital recorder.  Works very nicely and allows me to pull the digital file on to my PC using a USB connection and then with the included software change it to a wave file.

I don't remember the model number and don't have it with me.

It cost me $69  in August.  And it uses up two AAA batteries after about four weeks.

Is this sensitive enough to record from distance, i.e. my seat (30-45 feet away at most)
I basically need it conceiled in my backpack so the Prof doesn't know.  I have just one who does not allow recording, and NONE let you put a recorder on The Profs table.

Thanks...
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 04:34:58 PM »
I suspect it would not work well at that distance.  It would probably give you a great recording of everyone shifting their notes and whispering to each other.

edythec

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 04:55:33 PM »
I agree with jeffjoe on the distance.  I can't beleive the professors won't let you record!  Are they afraid you will "catch them" saying something they shouldn't?  I have one who doesn't really like it, but he laughs about it and says it makes him behave.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 05:40:14 AM »
Awe nuts.  I can't believe I am thinking about calling radio shack.  Who buys anything from them at those prices?  I have a spy outlet store up the street, I am sure they have something I could use, I'll let you know how much.  I'm guessing around 500 bucks, but who knows, gotta ask or I'll never know.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 10:20:46 AM »
For those who are interested, I have a Panasonice RR-US360.  It is about 1.25 inches by 4 inches

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 01:18:02 AM »
Well, I've completed my research, and find myself right back where I first started.  I looked at your model JJ, and the "salesman" said 45 feet in a book bag is "no problem, lots of people buy these for lecture halls that they aren't supposed to be taping"

Great.  JJ When you get a chance can you check the range in your instruction guide?

If you think about it, 30 feet is really only 10 yards.  I measure yards much easier, because my golf buddies brag about 45 foot putts that are more like 30 feet.  5 yards,
is only 15 feet, and that is a reasonable distance for me, since I can't see anything more than 15 feet anyways (PP, WhiteBoards, Exhibits).  Vision goes with age too, young students  ;)