Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP ME!  (Read 3218 times)

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
HELP ME!
« on: November 01, 2004, 10:34:47 PM »
Ok...this may be a stupid question (even though I'm part of the cool group on LSD)...

I'm sure it varies according to what each person's professor likes and how they test, etc...  But, in general...how much in depth (as far as memorizing, and being able to recall specifics, etc...) do you each think is necessary for the Model Penal Code and the U.C.C.   I mean, we spend all this time learning Common law...etc...
Ok...let me give an example....
Let's say I'm taking an exam...and it's a typical fact pattern essay...And in my essay, of course, I want to talk about the Rules and the elements of those rules...(such as, what the elements of rape are)...so, in doing this...would you state what the common law considers the elements to be...or what the model penal code says...or both? and how specific would you get regarding if its the model penal code,...And for contracts, would you make specific reference to the UCC or what... I'm just so confused right now...bleh.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HELP ME!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 10:39:20 PM »
It really does depend on the professor. Our Criminal Law professor wanted us to know common law, the law of the state we were in, and the MPC. For Contracts, we had to know common law, the UCC and some of the Restatement. If your prof doesn't tell you, I would probably focus on both. If that seems to be too much, just pick the one that the prof seemed to emphasize more or the one that has better coverage of the topic and then just focus on the other one only when there are major differences between them.

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 10:46:23 PM »
And you learned them all to the extent that you were able to regurgitate them from the individual sources, distinguishing the differences (or similarities) between all of the sources?

dgatl

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 10:48:07 PM »
U.C.C. is very important to memorize (at least the parts you covered in class).  If your hypo is about the sale of goods, then you will need to know it w/o having to consult a statutes book.  Additionally, you should know where the Vienna Convention differs from the U.C.C. (mailbox rule and Statutes of Frauds, maybe a couple others)

can't really say about crim law bc we take it next term

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 10:54:20 PM »
And you learned them all to the extent that you were able to regurgitate them from the individual sources, distinguishing the differences (or similarities) between all of the sources?

Yes, unfortunately, the Criminal Law prof warned us she would be testing on all three so we had no choice. When I was dealing with murder, for example, I charted it so that I could see each type of charge (involuntary, voluntary, etc.) and see the elements for each (MPC, common law, state law) side by side. If you chart stuff like that, most of the time you can see that there are only minor differences so that you only have to remember a difference in one of the elements, etc.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 10:58:52 PM »
As for your question about the exam, just ask the prof if he/she will be specific in the call of the question about which statutes they are interested in, or, if they are not specific, do they prefer that you apply all of the ones you studied or if they have a preference for just one. Just ask. The worst they can do is play the "I'm not telling you" game.

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 11:55:42 PM »
I think as time goes by (for me anyway) the differences in the MPC, common law and statutory law start to become somewhat instinctive. At least for criminal law.
Susan
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 10:44:53 AM »
Our prof says don't worry about the MPC.  That's probably because our course is very specific to Tennessee law.

Contracts prof puts a heavy emphasis on UCC
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 10:17:47 AM »
I have the barbri first year book with a contracts outline in it.  I'm planning to read that before the mid-term.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 04:27:26 PM »
Jeffjoe, how long is the BarBri outline?  When you signed up for the review course did you have to wait for them to mail it to you or did your student rep. have them on hand to pass out?